Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Creaking Brakes/suspension + Juddering

Gozzy

Hi all,

I had an advisory on my last MOT that the near side front shock was weeping slightly. I plan to replace the front shocks before the next MOT in Jan, but now seem to have other issues, which I suspect may be caused by a sticking calliper (but thought I'd seek some advice before taking it to a garage), as I can see a lot of very knowledgeable people use these forums. Issues as follows:

* Creaky brakes (especially at low speeds when parking etc).

* Creaky near side suspension (when pushing down on the car).

* Intermittent slight judder when holding speed at 30.

* Intermittent vibration through the brake pedal when braking at motorway speeds, accompanied by a humming noise. Seems ok at low speeds, but when braking from 70 for a roundabout, it's very common and highly noticeable.

* Intermittent vibration through the steering wheel (it felt quite bad after braking for a roundabout today, enough to make me pull off the road through fear I had a puncture or a loose wheel!. The car seemed ok so, I turned around and drove home and it was fine on the way back!)

* Car sometimes feels a bit sluggish to accelerate, as though its fully loaded (when it's not).

I've visually inspected the brakes without taking the wheels off. The discs are noticeably worn (ie have a slight lip) but they don't look in horrendous shape. The discs and pads were replaced about 4 years ago and I only cover about 4k a year. I'm not experienced mechanically, so before I start pulling things apart myself with the help of the Internet or a Haynes manual, or before I start shelling out cash at a garage, I though I'd seek some opinions as to what to look for/likely causes!

From browsing other posts, sticking callipers seem quite common and can lead to warped discs. I've also noted the issue could be with the hub and the disc not sitting flush?? But could the worn shock absorber have caused other components in the suspension to wear? I'm thinking the issues may be separate, but I guess there is a chance they could be linked.

I've owned my IS200 Sport for the past 7 years with no issues. It came from a main dealer and has the 18" Lexus alloys.

Many thanks in advance!

hi mate

best place to start is to get the brakes sorted. The Caliper sticker as the sliders corrode.. get these cleaned and buffed up and slightly lubricated.

Then get new disks and pads sorted. Along with a proper 4 wheel aliignment and balance that should solve a lot of the vibrations

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links