Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

It's just passed one year since I bought my pristine 08 RX400h and I thought I would just post my figures and experience with the car for anyone who may be considering buying.

I needed to change my ageing 3 series BMW and decided I wanted a Lexus RX so I started looking for a late low mileage example in silver. After about six months of checking adverts and dealer stocks of just about every RX for sale in the country I finally found a one family owned private sale with full Lexus history. It was about 120 miles from where I live so when I went to view I took along a means of payment and all arrangements made so that I could buy it there and then and drive it home.

It's a RX400h SE-L with wood trim option and is in mint condition, silver with black leather interior and I haggled and got it for £14850. At the time there was nothing in any main dealer in the country of the same year/mileage/spec for under £17k so I took a chance on a private buy and saved £2-3k.

I bought it on the 1st Feb 2014 and the first thing I did was to drive to a petrol station and fill up and record the mileage. I claim a portion of my mileage for business use so I keep and record all my petrol receipts.

Here are the figures

mileage 01/02/2014 37494

mileage 31/01/2015 46986

Total miles driven 9492 - 80% short commuting and town driving - 20% longer distances of 100 miles or more

Fuel used 316.48 gallons (1438.75 litres) - supermarket fuel

mpg 29.99 (I'm gutted I didn't quite make 30 mpg !)

Other costs

Bought a rear bumper protector on eBay from Lexus Sheffield - £48.80

Fully comp insurance for me and the missus (both in our fifties with no claims or convictions) - £266.70

Mot - sailed through with no advisories - £45

Road Tax - £255

Decided to remove the roof rails to avoid corrosion issues so a blanking kit from my local Toyota main dealer - £69.68

Full 6yr/60k service including new plugs at my local Toyota main dealer - £364.21

Absolutely love the car and like a customer of mine said, who has one, 'it's like driving everywhere in first class'.

No issues at all, nothing has broken or failed - the only exception being the alloy wheels are starting to bubble slightly in one or two places so will need repainting at some point.

Dan

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the post!

I'm going to see how much my local Toyota dealer will service my lex for as they (Poole Lexus and Hedge End Lexus) have quoted £900 odd for a major service with plugs!!

Chris.

Very similar to me in almost all respects - bought mine 18 months ago, privately, do a similar mileage with similar mix of conditions. We're a bit younger and I have points on my licence, so insurance is £377. No issues at first MOT and only expense has been a new 12v Battery recently.

Big difference; mine is a year older and had 100k miles on it ( now 113k). Hence, I paid £5k less for mine although I also had to immediately have a £575 service and cam belt change done (at an indie dealer).

When it was voted best car of the year in What Car in the mid noughties, they weren't kidding. I've never driven anything like my old 2005 RX400H SE. Keep thinking about a change and then you wonder 'why bother'. If it ain't broke....... as they say!

Cheap insurance and crazy performance when needed.( It actually frightens me sometimes when I have to put my foot down hard to get out of a situation).

Fabulous ride and luxury comfort. All in all, a great all rounder!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links