Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Cd Jamming - Err 3 !

Hi,

Thought I would share my err 3 experiences with you and let you know how I fixed the problem. This may be useful to anyone whose unit is out of warranty, facing a nasty repair bill, and with a reasonable level of screwdriver acumen. B)

I've now had 2 head units warranty replaced by Lexus due to these errors / discs not ejecting and when the current unit packed up this weekend, I thought i'd have a go at sorting it myself, rather than waiting another month for another replacement unit.

Anyway try the following to remedy.

1. Give the dash a good couple of smacks on either side of the unit, then try to eject the stuck disc.

No good?

2. Take the fuse for the stereo out (under the bonnet, 3rd one in i think, 20A), leave for a minute and replace. This will re-boot the unit. Switch back on and try to eject.

No good?

3. Press the disc switching button and try to eject again. Repeat this procedure a few times.

No good?..... Right screwdriver time :yack:

4. Remove stereo. (Remove the top rectangular plastic cover (in front of sat nav) and remove the 2 screws. Pull out top unit. Remove 2 bolts above heater controls. Pull out heated seats / traction cntl unit. Remove 2 bolts below stereo.

Pull out stereo / heater block, disconnect wiring blocks / ariel and remove 8 screws holding stereo in.

Take stereo out of car and place on a table and make yourself comfortable.

Turn the unit upside down and remove tiny screw holding the plastic front face.

Carefully remove the front face by very gently prizing each of the plastic clips that hold it on.

Right then, take a look in the CD hole with a light. Can you see the stuck CD?.

If so, you will need a tool to remove it. A pair of very long nosed plyers, or 2 small electronic screwdrivers. Basically if you can reach the CD and grip it semi-reasonably it will pull out easily. You could wrap the end of the plyers / screwdrivers with insulating tape, to protect the CD as you choose.

Done it? Good! Put it back together and power the unit back up. You may need to repeat the exercise for other jammed discs, but once completed the unit should re-boot and work ok.

Could you not see the CD?

The disc is still in the depths of the machine and you will need to remove the covers to examine and remove. This is a job probably best left to someone with specific skills.

A couple of tips though.

Make sure the CD's you use are clean and grease free.

Don't try to eject cd's while another is loading, or performing another task other than playing.

Don't eject CD's while driving over rough ground.

Good luck.

another bit of info for the original post, when removing the front facia of the radio it is made easier to put little bits of matchsticks under the numerous plastic tabs to prevent them snapping back into place again.

Sure, post it to the knowledge base if you like.

Might be worth mentioning that I have only tried this process on the bottom loading unit (13902) although I suspect the mechanisms on other models are similar and the CD just fails to eject all the way.

I have now learnt to spell pliers.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

Anyway try the following to remedy.

2. Take the fuse for the stereo out (under the bonnet, 3rd one in i think, 20A), leave for a minute and replace. This will re-boot the unit. Switch back on and try to eject.

Whee! Thank-you.

Removing the fuse and waiting a minute or two and replacing worked for me.

By the way, if you're unsure which fuse it is, turn the fuse cover (that you remove) upside down and what's-what is specified there. (It calls the fuse "radio 1")

I only just bought it second-hand, and they never told me about the CD not working. Now I have 6 of their CDs... Can't say I liked their taste too much though!

Cheers,

Chris.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links