Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hi all 

As some of you will know I've chosen the RX as my next car and I'm buying new and on a Facebook group I've joined I've been told about an issue with owners getting locked in the car and one owner told me that Lexus has washed there hands of the issue? Has anyone heard about this or had this issue? Is it true Lexus has washed there hands of the issue? 

I don't see how this could happen.  The doors, much like the RZ and other new models, don't use a conventional door lever, but a button entry on the door handle.  From the inside, if electrics go down for the button release, they've thought about this and still have a lever directly behind the button to manually open the door.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GSLV6 said:

I don't see how this could happen.  The doors, much like the RZ and other new models, don't use a conventional door lever, but a button entry on the door handle.  From the inside, if electrics go down for the button release, they've thought about this and still have a lever directly behind the button to manually open the door.

I think I need to ask them because I was confused and even rewatched some car reviews that say the same that there's a lever to open manually. 

Yes, there's definitely a manual lever for door opening.  It begs the question "why add a button on the inside and not just have egress via the conventional lever?".   Unnecessary "farkles".  Personally, and it is a personal thing, I think that interior quality compared with the solidity of early marques, is dropping off and I don't like the reliance on touch screens and electronic tech for the sake of it.  The best compromise imho of functionality and tech was possibly the RX4 which also suffers with a fewer less annoying rattles than the previous generation.  Even better, my older V6 GS300 had a plethora of buttons, all within easy reach, all well marked and still working perfectly after 10 years abuse.  Interior build was also exemplary, more Bentley-like with lovely quality touches.  

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, GSLV6 said:

Yes, there's definitely a manual lever for door opening.  It begs the question "why add a button on the inside and not just have egress via the conventional lever?".   Unnecessary "farkles".  Personally, and it is a personal thing, I think that interior quality compared with the solidity of early marques, is dropping off and I don't like the reliance on touch screens and electronic tech for the sake of it.  The best compromise imho of functionality and tech was possibly the RX4 which also suffers with a fewer less annoying rattles than the previous generation.  Even better, my older V6 GS300 had a plethora of buttons, all within easy reach, all well marked and still working perfectly after 10 years abuse.  Interior build was also exemplary, more Bentley-like with lovely quality touches.  

Being my first Lexus I found this interesting so over the years you think the current generation or newer model has declined in quality compared to its previous generations?

4 hours ago, Sara.E said:

Hi all 

As some of you will know I've chosen the RX as my next car and I'm buying new and on a Facebook group I've joined I've been told about an issue with owners getting locked in the car and one owner told me that Lexus has washed there hands of the issue? Has anyone heard about this or had this issue? Is it true Lexus has washed there hands of the issue? 

Did they state how they are getting locked in their cars?

I’ve been locked in my NX450h on 2 occasions and both were my mis-doing, nothing to do with Lexus. It happened when I left the door open whilst installing a dashcam. Upon closing the doors whilst inside the car went into self protect mode and locked itself with me inside. I escaped by climbing into the boot area and using the manual boot release.
I since discovered that it was the low capacity 12V Battery depleting due to leaving doors open for a (smallish) amount of time and that it is covered in the manual, had I bothered to read it. 
Lexus clearly state to put the car into “ready” mode when leaving the doors open for such work due to the small low capacity of the 12months Battery fitted.

Maybe the facebook users also didn’t read the manual 🤔

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RXtoNX said:

I’ve been locked in my NX450h on 2 occasions and both were my mis-doing, nothing to do with Lexus. It happened when I left the door open whilst installing a dashcam. Upon closing the doors whilst inside the car went into self protect mode and locked itself with me inside. I escaped by climbing into the boot area and using the manual boot release.
I since discovered that it was the low capacity 12V battery depleting due to leaving doors open for a (smallish) amount of time and that it is covered in the manual, had I bothered to read it. 
Lexus clearly state to put the car into “ready” mode when leaving the doors open for such work due to the small low capacity of the 12months battery fitted.

Well there not saying how which I find odd. 

Someone also said they had an issue with sat nav and that Lexus washed there hands of the issue but he says the dealer was great and they had to pay out £1,700 to fix but again doesn't say what happened other than sat nav issue

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, Sara.E said:

I think I need to ask them because I was confused and even rewatched some car reviews that say the same that there's a lever to open manually. 

Fake news I think. There is a lever to open manually.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sara.E said:

Being my first Lexus I found this interesting so over the years you think the current generation or newer model has declined in quality compared to its previous generations?

I have owned Lexus cars since around 2013 Sara, with cars dating from 2007 onwards. You'll always get some person who says things like "they were better built in my day, blah blah..." and whilst certain aspects were more solidly built, on the whole reliability has improved up to a point.  It's hard to say when that point was reached but ever tightening euro rules and a world decline in car sales over lock down meant that a rejuvenated car market is trying hard to woo people with changes (and some evolution) in technology whilst coping with ever tightening emissions regulations.  Personally, the most solid Lexus overall I've had is my current RX3 but the most luxurious and beautifully finished inside was a 2007 model. 

The Regs for emissions have made engine systems more complex and some would argue, less long lived, due to greater demands placed on smaller engine units. There's some truth in this.  There are other manufacturers, who are basically selling cars using disposable engines designed to last around 60K miles.  Speak to any mechanic and they'll tell you the same.  The hypocrisy in this against "green" targets is astonishing. Manufacturers know that ever tightening rules means there's no long term viability in designing such tried and tested and long lived motors of the 90's and 2000's; I've seen older LS400 and LS430's with over half a million miles on them and doubt modern Lexus cars could achieve similar but generally, they're still pretty good compared with the competition.  The latest RX is a nice car and the engine is pretty tried and tested albeit higher stressed (being turbocharged) than the outgoing 3.5 V6 which was to my mind one of the finest engines that the Toyota group ever produced.

Lexus changed their target market from the mid to late 2000's trying to capture more of the younger market and lagged in up to date technology for entertainment systems until relatively recently (perhaps up until 4th generation models).  The cars made since then seem to use more plastics everywhere and externally especially.  Valve covers these days are even plastic!  But with that, electronics generally have been quite reliable with fewer little niggles than those made in the mid 2000's.  I had a few issues with my GS3000, mainly electrical but some shocking design faults with suspension and exhaust systems resulting in limited life expectancy for those items.  Engines have been solid though and dependable.  Many new luxury vehicles use plastics everywhere including under the bonnet and I wonder how reliable these will be longer term.  Plastic cooling pipes used by many in the cooling system for example, is not a great recipe for longevity.

The interior of RX5 models is quite luxurious but a lot of it is due to the little finishing touches and styling.  I would argue that my 2007 GS was probably better made on the interior and just as luxurious but without some of the modern touches.  The early RX models were also pretty solid internally and were more utilitarian in design, so stand up well as the years role on.

Don't worry about what other people think.  If you like the car, and can afford it, buy it and enjoy it.  Life's too short.  Peace of mind comes from Lexus after sales customer service which remains excellent compared with just about any other car maker. 

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, GSLV6 said:

they were better built in my day

Actually, they were. Simpler is better ( especially in technology aspects )  blah blah blah.

42 minutes ago, GSLV6 said:

The Regs for emissions have made engine systems more complex and some would argue, less long lived, due to greater demands placed on smaller engine units. There's some truth in this

Yes, you are right on that point too.

I agree with your comments - not that anyone cares what I think anyway.😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Simpler tends to be more reliable as there's less to go wrong in the first place, but it's with a provision on keeping them serviceable.  "Better" is subjective, as in "better in what way"? 

More economical?  Many later models are a little more economical today so older cars were not better in that regard. 

More reliable?  I'd argue older models had greater longevity but reliability is dependant upon keeping a vehicle serviceable, and older ones required as regular attention for that plus parts costs have always been steep for Lexus cars (very few aftermarket parts).  Cost of ownership was probably on parity with today in real terms so possibly not a great deal of difference.

"Better" as in performance?  No.  Newer models have better performance. 

"Better ride quality?".  Personally I think older non hybrid versions had better ride quality as they were lighter, so another tick in the box, plus when comparing (for argument's sake) my older V6 GS300, it did handle better than later GS450h models as it was lighter and suspension more compliant for a less thumpy ride.  I hated the GS450h I tried.  It was overly firm, not very compliant and no better in the corners as it was heavier.  The earlier GS300 was as good as or better than German exec saloons of the day, as it remained more compliant for a better quality of ride whilst cornering on rails.  LS models today handle better than older models but are arguably less reliable (lots does go wrong with those as they are hugely complex cars) and cost a fortune to run.  They heyday I reckon was the LS430 for durability, dependability and build quality.

Where Lexus shines is that I wouldn't hesitate to buy a good used 15 year old car that was well looked after and be confident to get another ten years out of it.  I can't say the same for the competition.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, RXtoNX said:

I since discovered that it was the low capacity 12V battery depleting due to leaving doors open for a (smallish) amount of time and that it is covered in the manual, had I bothered to read it. 
Lexus clearly state to put the car into “ready” mode when leaving the doors open for such work due to the small low capacity of the 12months battery fitted.

Why did you not use the manual door release?

6 minutes ago, FSPORT3 said:

Why did you not use the manual door release?

Because, at the time, like I said I hadn’t read the manual f was unaware of the 2 pull method🙄

16 minutes ago, RXtoNX said:

Because, at the time, like I said I hadn’t read the manual f was unaware of the 2 pull method🙄

But there are labels on the doors from new and surely Lexus Ipswich told you on hand over how to open doors in an emergency, it is part of their hand over procedure 

41 minutes ago, FSPORT3 said:

But there are labels on the doors from new and surely Lexus Ipswich told you on hand over how to open doors in an emergency, it is part of their hand over procedure 

Not that I can recall but it’s probably me not remembering because Lexus Ipswich, for the 12 years that I’ve dealt with them, have generally been very good.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links