Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Glove Box Fix 2007 Ls460

I'm sure most owners know the common issue of the dropped gearbox lid on the 460. I found out it was a common fault after test driving five 460's prior to buying mine 5 weeks ago, my first Lexus. Each time I asked the Lexus salesman why doesn't the glove box line up with the rest of the dash they all said " Oh common problem that, very time consuming to fix, not a warranty item".

Went onto You Tube and came across one guy who had the entire glove box in bits, you know the detailed step by step fix and from memory he achieved the fix he was after but looked very involved to me. Saw another chap in the US who took a 21" cable tie and slid it down the inside of the glove box's black interior liner and the main centre facia panel and low and behold the glove box lid stayed up each time he opened and closed it. I thought, " could it be that simple"?.

My glove box lid of course has dropped about an eighth of an inch and looks awful as the swage line on the light coloured trim makes the fault stand out. So I bought the longest and biggest cable tie I could find, 21" long and with a 9 mm strap width and decided to try this fix. I reduced the cable tie length from 21" to just one inch and slid it into position where the You Tube guy said and was shocked to discover it works. See photos, 1st picture shows glove box lid aligned, 2nd picture shows where I placed the cable tie, the 3rd picture shows the dropped position and the 4th the size of the cable tie in relation to my worktop. The You Tube clip is easy to find, just type in LS460 glove box fix and you will see it listed, tried to copy the link but couldn't manage it, RESULT !!!!

Steve

post-54363-0-42127600-1447520149_thumb.j

post-54363-0-75739400-1447520168_thumb.j

post-54363-0-12687500-1447520683_thumb.j

post-54363-0-05317700-1447520728_thumb.j

wow - nice neat cheap fix - knowledge is key

i have just this afternoon fixed my door speaker foam surround - will be fitting it back tomorrow - if it works will also do the drivers side.

just for comparison lexus price for speaker is £100 - price for 2 foam surrounds is £18

if it doesn't work then i will be buying 2 new genuine speakers

• Like 1

Like the thought process here Cruisemark, you have a good chance of sorting out your speakers for a fraction of the cost of new ones. I always try and think logically about fixing stuff but like you said knowledge is key and those with the knowledge who pass it on are really generous people who want us all to share what they know even if they are half way round the world.

Steve

Absolutely knowledge is key - i often go on the GS forums and a common problem on high mileage gs450h's is the transmission oil pump failing - lexus will only fit a new parts at a cost of around 3k ! ! !

one member decided to try and repair his pump and found it could be done by replacing the bearing within the pump which cost £12 ! ! ! - plus costs of new transmission oil.

Steve,

Thanks for the info. My glovebox is still OK but I wonder if the problem is the Owners Manual. I noticed that in my (Dutch LH drive) car the manual fits no problem, whereas in the UK ones, it seems a bit 'stuffed in'.

Hi Brian, hadn't thought of that so went out and removed the cable tie and the massive owners manual pack but no, it still hangs lower when the glove box is empty. Refitted the cable tie and the lid stays up when I shut it.

Steve

Ah well, it was worth a try........

Talking about manuals; I often have a read through the Owners Manual but I wonder.......has anyone ever read all the way through the Navigation Manual. I know I haven't :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links