Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear suspnsion corrosion issues

Jambo_H

Hi all, prospective SC owner here. I'm considering purchasing a 2003 sc430, however, on checking its MOT history the last 2 have been passed with an advisory "corrosion to rear suspension, not excessive". Has anybody had similar problems and if so how expensive was it to fix?. The car is MILES from where I live, but looks good apart from this. Should I consider this a deal breaker and keep looking? thanks in advance

2 hours ago, Jambo_H said:

Hi all, prospective SC owner here. I'm considering purchasing a 2003 sc430, however, on checking its MOT history the last 2 have been passed with an advisory "corrosion to rear suspension, not excessive". Has anybody had similar problems and if so how expensive was it to fix?. The car is MILES from where I live, but looks good apart from this. Should I consider this a deal breaker and keep looking? thanks in advance

Suspension corrosion is something that was discussed on this forum very recently and it seems that the general consensus is don't worry about it.

Yes, I've had a recent MOT with underbody corrosion as an advisory. I rang the Waxoil people in Bristol and they quoted £450 to clean, remove loose material and treat. Bristol is a bit of a way from Torbay so I bought a applicator and a friend with a compressor will do the job locally. The rear brake back plates are also corroding and breaking off in bits. Next years MOT might be a problem. Has anyone found a reasonable source for these items - Lexus price horrendous!