Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Chafing cables

Over the last few months I have been getting extremely loud and random static noises on the radio and disc but not on the voice from the satnav.

This week the engine warning amber light came on and it was the oxygen sensor downstream of the catalytic converter. This was replaced but the light came on again after 20 mins. The sensor was initially outputting 450mV which then increased to 1V causing the light to come on.

The garage reckon that there is a corruption of the O2 sensor potentially through chafed wiring somewhere in the loom and this was reinforced when I told them about the sound system.

Is there a part of the wiring loom of a 2005 RX400h that is particularly prone to wearing/chafing so I can save the garage a bit of time?

Haven't heard of any chafing issues at all on Lexus'. But I've seen plenty of cars attacked by rodents where wiring looms have been nibbled, causing issues.

It's worth checking around the engine bay for nibbled foam and plastic parts. That's a good indication of a rodent infestation.

I'm not surprised as the O2 cables often get untwisted and twisted back up if the sensors are backed out of the exhaust e.g. whilst replacing the exhaust.

The other end of the O2 plug us typically within the cabin and can often be a pain to get to.

Also if the engine/exhaust has excessive play in the engine mounts/exhaust hangers then the sensor cables could come under additional pressure and start to break up/pull out of the sensor.

Thanks for the input gentlemen.

As far as I can see the car is rodent free!

We replaced the sensor and it still came up with the same problem which LED us to think that the problem is within the wiring loom rather than the sensor.

Is there any area where the sound system shares an area/conduit with the O2 sensor wiring?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links