Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

When to Charge the 450h+ PHEV

59 minutes ago, ABitterman said:

Zanderblue, thank you for such a clear explanation. As far as costs to charge at home. I don’t have Economy 7, so pay 17.8p per kw. The battery is 18.1kw so I reckon it will cost me 18.1x17.8= £3.22 to charge fully. 

The calculation I was looking for was how much it cost to charge the battery whilst driving. You say it took 70 miles to get it fully charged, guess we just need to know the impact on mpg to see what that cost would be.

I've not looked at this yet - my car is delivered 1st March so I need to start getting my head around it!!

However, I previously had an Outlander PHEV and you could never totally drain the drive Battery, it reserved a percentage about 10% from memory, so using that rule you would only ever charge ~16.3 kw.

I'm currently renting an XC40 fully electric and I have a spreadsheet (yes, I'm sat here in my anorak!!) where I keep track of my charging costs by using the formula =(79*0.xx)*0.1989 where 79 is the Battery capacity 0.xx is the % charge needed to full and 0.1989 is the electricity cost per kwh.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Alan Thompson said:

I've not looked at this yet - my car is delivered 1st March so I need to start getting my head around it!!

However, I previously had an Outlander PHEV and you could never totally drain the drive battery, it reserved a percentage about 10% from memory, so using that rule you would only ever charge ~16.3 kw.

I'm currently renting an XC40 fully electric and I have a spreadsheet (yes, I'm sat here in my anorak!!) where I keep track of my charging costs by using the formula =(79*0.xx)*0.1989 where 79 is the battery capacity 0.xx is the % charge needed to full and 0.1989 is the electricity cost per kwh.

That’s good Alan hopefully after about 4 months of driving following delivery you can share such spreadsheet data on the forum. Though some my say such data will be a reflection of your own driving style but it should be shared nevertheless . 

• Like 1

Just got back from a test drive and the demo had done 9,500 miles and was showing 2.4 miles per kWh on the trip, so over 40 miles of pure EV range which was nice to see. 

Was also told Lexus don't recommend using the self charging mode excessively as it's not as good for the Battery

6 hours ago, Fatts said:

That’s good Alan hopefully after about 4 months of driving following delivery you can share such spreadsheet data on the forum. Though some my say such data will be a reflection of your own driving style but it should be shared nevertheless . 

Previously I used to measure mpg by the traditional way of petrol brim to brim and add the miles I'd done on electric to get a true figure, but I am not sure lugging around all that fuel is useful for weight and cost reasons!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links