Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thinking about a 3GR engine swap from a GS300 - Any tips?

6 hours ago, Linas.P said:

On automatic car you don't need to map anything, just use GS300 (3GR-FSE) ECU. Obviously, I understand you having manual car that was not an option as there was never manual XX300. That said - how do you get IS205 ECU mapped, or you run aftermarket ECU? 

I thought those that've done this before just swapped the bare engine in and used their original 4GR ECU, Coils, Injectors, Intake etc? 

There are companies that can map the GS ECU to remove all the Auto functions, so i'd imagime they could do the same to an IS ECU, though.

4 hours ago, Mike_Mac said:

I thought those that've done this before just swapped the bare engine in and used their original 4GR ECU, Coils, Injectors, Intake etc? 

There are companies that can map the GS ECU to remove all the Auto functions, so i'd imagime they could do the same to an IS ECU, though.

I reckon it would be cheaper to just get whole GS (I know that for sure, as I just shifted one GS for £1000, which I thought I would use exactly for this exercise, I just couldn't get the place to work on that, so had to abandon this plan), with dressed engine and not bother with swapping everything over, but in principle yes - you can do that, most of the ancillaries are identical.

Also I, if I do swap of 3GR I would prefer to do it with A760e, because it is much stronger box. Well obviously unless converting to manual.

As for ECUs - I tend to believe it is identical hardware for most GR series engines, only the programming is different, but that is the my question - what are those companies, I have not heard of one that can work on Petrol Lexus ECUs. They were rumoured, especially on US forums, but I haven't come across one yet.

22 hours ago, Linas.P said:

I reckon it would be cheaper to just get whole GS (I know that for sure, as I just shifted one GS for £1000, which I thought I would use exactly for this exercise, I just couldn't get the place to work on that, so had to abandon this plan), with dressed engine and not bother with swapping everything over, but in principle yes - you can do that, most of the ancillaries are identical.

Also I, if I do swap of 3GR I would prefer to do it with A760e, because it is much stronger box. Well obviously unless converting to manual.

As for ECUs - I tend to believe it is identical hardware for most GR series engines, only the programming is different, but that is the my question - what are those companies, I have not heard of one that can work on Petrol Lexus ECUs. They were rumoured, especially on US forums, but I haven't come across one yet.

Chris at Phoenix Engine Management can remap the GS ECU, and, I would assume, can do the IS ones too. If not, then RR Racing definitely can, as I've just put their map on my own IS250 (does make a difference). THey may be in the USA, but I had no issues. There was another Coy I was taking to who could do it in the UK too (can't remember their details, though).

21 hours ago, Mike_Mac said:

Chris at Phoenix Engine Management can remap the GS ECU, and, I would assume, can do the IS ones too. If not, then RR Racing definitely can, as I've just put their map on my own IS250 (does make a difference). THey may be in the USA, but I had no issues. There was another Coy I was taking to who could do it in the UK too (can't remember their details, though).

There is a guy in Sweden who did the swap a year or two ago. There's people in the US that have done it too. 3GR swap is a straight swap, it's like taking 4GR out and putting it back. It runs of IS250 ecu, so there is literally no messing about. It couldn't be easier. I don't know how this would affect the auto box, but all the swaps I know of were done on manual cars. The gearbox is more than strong enough for this. Guys are running 2GR with this manual box too, so there is no worries. This is honestly the only financially feasible swap / power upgrade on these. Engine will cost you ~£500-700, and after that you pay around a grand for labour. The next best thing is a supercharger which will cost £5,5k + fitting.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2023 at 11:45 AM, Mike_Mac said:

Does this map also get rid of the awful rev hang?

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what the guy in Sweden did. His car is Auto btw, so this swap is possible on both, manual and auto cars. I was speaking to him this morning about this swap.

"Hey. Just put the 4GR lower and upper intake manifold on the 3GR and everything will be plug and play. I also took all the mounts for cables and coolant hoses from the 4GR and put on the 3GR.I left the AC pump in the car as I took the engine out but yes all the auxiliaries should fit both engines. I have had zero issues with this swap and can absolutely recommend it! I removed engine only and from the top. And as I wrote earlier I left the AC pump in the car. To clear the steering assembly I removed the drivers side exhaust manifold before taking the engine out. Behind the AC pump (you have to remove it) is a connector to the crank sensor. In general, the sensor and coil connectors are very brittle so be careful when removing them. That's all I can think of for now, it's tight around the engine but very straight forward. Must say the IS250 runs the 3GR very well actually. Same cams, same intake manifolds and same injectors. So I guess it just gulps a bit more air compared to the 4GR and the ECU seems to be able to correct it with ease."

@Mike_Mac @AFlex @Linas.P @CiaranMcK

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, H3XME said:

Here's what the guy in Sweden did. His car is Auto btw, so this swap is possible on both, manual and auto cars. I was speaking to him this morning about this swap.

"Hey. Just put the 4GR lower and upper intake manifold on the 3GR and everything will be plug and play. I also took all the mounts for cables and coolant hoses from the 4GR and put on the 3GR.I left the AC pump in the car as I took the engine out but yes all the auxiliaries should fit both engines. I have had zero issues with this swap and can absolutely recommend it! I removed engine only and from the top. And as I wrote earlier I left the AC pump in the car. To clear the steering assembly I removed the drivers side exhaust manifold before taking the engine out. Behind the AC pump (you have to remove it) is a connector to the crank sensor. In general, the sensor and coil connectors are very brittle so be careful when removing them. That's all I can think of for now, it's tight around the engine but very straight forward. Must say the IS250 runs the 3GR very well actually. Same cams, same intake manifolds and same injectors. So I guess it just gulps a bit more air compared to the 4GR and the ECU seems to be able to correct it with ease."

@Mike_Mac @AFlex @Linas.P @CiaranMcK

I would add that it is much easier to remove the engine from below, if there is any downside of that approach, then it would require de-gassing A/C, but apart of that removing engine from below together with gearbox  is definitely much easier. Obviously, that requires decent clearance under the car, so basically lift.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links