Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls400 not starting

londonlad

Gerry hi and welcome to this forum

How long have you had this car, mileage, servicing etc ?

We might be able to help advise if you told us what's happened thus far in your ownership 

Malc

Already tried them but unable to find the problem. Also been in lexus Gatwick, who bench tested engine couldn't get any more than 1200 revs. I've had her 15yrs and only 150k. Also had a new TPS fitted apparently Ecu not providing much to go on, don't know what else to do I'm hoping something simple has been overlooked. 

Was there anything untoward before the issue happened?

I'd start by looking at the coils, leads and plugs - years ago I went through a huge amount of standing water on the M25 in my LS400 and it refused to rev afterwards - just about got it back to my workshop, but it was very sick.

We changed the plugs and leads, inspected the coils and everything was fine afterwards.

sorry but I've never heard of the Throttle Position Sensor nor of one ever being checked out either

My 95 car has covered 240k miles and half of that with me over 11 years .............. so advise us please ......

..... who told you the TPS needed changing and more importantly what did they actually do ?

I've a feeling this might be some cause of your unusual troubles 

Malc

Hi Malc sorry so late at replying I'll send a pic of TPS tomorrow, which was recommended by Toyotec, then lexus Gatwick carried out diagnostics check, checking fuel pump and carried out bench test of engine, couldn't get any more than 1200 revs. And because they couldn't find the problem they didn't charge for it. So I'm back to square one. It's cranking but not starting 

8 hours ago, londonlad said:

Hi Malc sorry so late at replying I'll send a pic of TPS tomorrow, which was recommended by Toyotec, then lexus Gatwick carried out diagnostics check, checking fuel pump and carried out bench test of engine, couldn't get any more than 1200 revs. And because they couldn't find the problem they didn't charge for it. So I'm back to square one. It's cranking but not starting 

When Lexus were testing it, was it holding an idle?

The TPS shouldn't really have any impact on if it will turn over and fire or not.

As I said above, did the ignition system get checked?

12 hours ago, londonlad said:

and carried out bench test of engine

did they actually remove the engine and put it on their bench to test whatever ?

seems a little extreme ........... and heaven knows why they couldn't provide a sensible answer to your problem, especially as she has been driving superbly I'd imagine for the past 15 years

Guess all they needed was an old fashioned mechanic with those skills sets to fix older non-complex cars 

Wish you well whatever  .  your problem seems mystifying and never reported before on this forum to my knowledge 

Malc

• Like 1

TPS 20220926_071242.heic

Not a great pic as hose pipe in the way. Funny you should say that they did say the car is nearly as old as the technician lol .Guess I'll get ignition and electrics checked by another garage seems to be a lottery with garages at the moment 

Another thing to check:

How is your dashboard?  Does it still light up correctly?

When mine began to fail on my LS it gave all kinds of interesting additional problems...including preventing the remote lock/alarm from working - I wonder if it's possible you have a failing module and it's causing immobiliser issues?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, londonlad said:

TPS 20220926_071242.heic

Not a great pic as hose pipe in the way. Funny you should say that they did say the car is nearly as old as the technician lol .Guess I'll get ignition and electrics checked by another garage seems to be a lottery with garages at the moment 

sadly my old and ancient laptop I'm having to use these past days ( hence I've temporarily lost my 7.4k record here in my other Malc name ) doesn't want to open these piccys, never mind 

YES, get another old fashioned garage to check it out ...  hope you get more considered skills working for you then

Good luck

Malc

A TPS issue might have resulted in it's unwillingness to rev if the revs were climbing very slowly but everything else was fine.

Does it fire up (briefly) with a dose of easystart down the inlet?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links