Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Remote Starting from App

Morning, is anyone else having an issue using the lexus app to remote start their car? I am finding when using the app that it connects to the car fine, shows correct current mileage and Battery level, however when trying to remote start the car, the app returns an error message after a few mins. I raised this with Lexus and was told to delete my profile, delete car from app, remove my Bluetooth connection and set it all up again, this fixed if for a few days, then stopped working again. 

Car is NX450h, latest software installed, Samsung S21 Ultra with latest version of lexus app 18 Nov 22.

Kind regards 

Kenny 

Update. A recall has been issued for the NX to fix this fault, its needs to be carried out by dealer. There is also a recall been issued for the problem with the petrol filler flap not opening correctly when the release button is pressed in the driving seat. 

Kenny 

In a similar post a while back, I replied saying I thought the remote engine start was a US only function so I'm intrigued by your question. I have version 4.14.0 of the Lexus App on my mobile and I can't even find an option to remote start. Since you have been told that a fix is available, I'm even more intrigued that I might be missing out!

• Like 1

[NX 450h+] I've had a similar experience with the petrol filler flap, having to resort to pulling out the boot cover plate and opening it manually. Let's hope Lexus can sort this soon. Additionally, since the over-the-air system upgrade a few weeks ago the EV mileage dropped from 43 to 38...and stayed there ever since. Has anyone else experienced this c.12% drop in EV performance?

Out of curiosity, can someone please indicate why you would need to use remote starting when the the car (NX450h+) can be pre-heated from the app?

I can understand it if the car’s software enabled remote manoeuvring by the app (parked in a tight space or garage etc) but other than that I’m stumped

• Like 1

Sorry maybe I should have been clearer, I don't mean using the app to start the engine running, I am meaning using the app to preheat the car and defroat it on a cold morning 

Ah, clearer now. I have had an error message, about one time in 10. The defrost system has to work within certain parameters, so I get a message if I try to defrost when not plugged into the charger and there is not enough charge in the Battery (don't know the figure but it appears to be quite high). I also get a message if I have gone through one defrost cycle and try a second cycle. Obviously after a period it will let me have a second go, but again, I don't know how long; however, it appears to be a relatively long time.

There is a long and detailed explanation on YT (/watch?v=mXFipAaMEQI) about the system. I get from this that Battery heating system is not up to the job in the coldest situations and that's where I believe remote engine starting (to answer Paul's question) could come into play. On the coldest of days this winter, a single 20 minute cycle was not enough to fully defrost my windows. On the coldest day, the wipers were still firmly frozen to the windscreen. Disappointing. Aside from bring out the old fashioned ice scraper (which I'm not adverse to), my solution was to jump in, start the ICE and wait for a proper defrost. You may have noticed that on cold days with the heating set to 'Hi', the car will put itself into ICE mode because only that can generate the heat to reach the desired temperatures.

I don't know how full BEVs get around the problem but of course they don't have the (luxury?) of an engine to fall back on so their design needs to be more robust. Overall, winter performance is an area where I am least happy with my car. From my frozen charging point door, to difficulties with the e-latch, to no heating strip for the wipers, to the inability to fully defrost the windows from electric power alone. One wonders if Lexus ever tested the car in one of the giant fridges designed for such testing? If they did, surely they would have changed some of the design?

@Kenny Barclay Ah, ok understood. I know that certain models will be capable of remote manoeuvring at some point in the future but the software for the app is not yet developed so thought that it what you were maybe referring to.

The pre-heat on mine works fine but sometimes the command from the app can take a minute or so to show that the command has been recognised by the car

3 hours ago, Macray said:

[NX 450h+] I've had a similar experience with the petrol filler flap, having to resort to pulling out the boot cover plate and opening it manually. Let's hope Lexus can sort this soon. Additionally, since the over-the-air system upgrade a few weeks ago the EV mileage dropped from 43 to 38...and stayed there ever since. Has anyone else experienced this c.12% drop in EV performance?

If you place a sponge between the filler cap and the fuel flap this is enough to trigger the flap. My indicated EV mileage has dropped from 46 to 40.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links