Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Considering this used RX450h (MJ67...)

Hi all, 

I have not been active in this forum for a long time now, but I maybe considering the RX again.  Found the following car but it is a high miler, and I was wondering if it belonged to anyone on here.

The reg is MJ67XFR with 125k miles with full Lexus history and seems to be tidy, albeit I have not seen it in person yet.

If this car belonged to you, please PM me as I have a few questions.

Apart from that, what is the general feeling with a well looked after 125k RX with you seasoned owners?

Thank you in advance.

Relax does not provide very comprehensive cover, certainly not as good as the old cover that could be taken out with Lexus.  If a really good RX450h with an excellent history came up at a very competitive price, I wouldn't rule it out because of the mileage.  However, I would have the annual traction Battery cover and maybe general cover from another provider.  There are so many factors to be taken into account, particularly if you are on a limited budget.  Setting aside the cover for repairs, you have to consider how many miles you might put on it and how long would you likely wish to keep it and how you view depreciation for example.  How much more would you be prepared to pay for a similar model with fewer miles or perhaps a slightly older model with lower miles if budget is tight and mileage a concern?  The car will do well over 125K miles if you get a well cared for one but naturally as the miles increase so does the likely cost of maintenance ,although this is likely to be partly offset by lower insurance.  So different people are likely to take a different approach when presented with the sort car you have found.

Hi everyone, I took the 'good' coil spring off today. Does anyone know what the green and purple dots relate to? Can they be cross referenced to the correct part number? I'm hoping these coloured dots may help in my hunt for a second hand spring. Thanks 

Screenshot_20230511_174342_Gallery.jpg

Ultimately it would  come down to price and condition for me. If it's significanty cheaper than similar aged or older cars with lower mileage, then I'd consider it, even more so if my own usage was going to be low mileage. If I was going to put a lot of miles on it, and hope to get a good price when I sell it, then I'd give it a miss.

One think I'd check is the rear tyres, as they were replaced at the last MOT, and it's not uncommon for an owner to stick cheap ones on to get a pass if they're about to sell the car. Check also that mileage based maintenance haas been done, like spark plugs, which either should  have been done at last service, or are due. It would be good if the transmission fluid has been replaced at some point too.

On the plus the it seems to have averaged 25k miles a year, which likely means a lot of motorway miles, which in some ways is better than lower mileage consisting of short trips, pottering about town.

As mentioned, the mileage excludes it from the Relax warranty, but there is a 10yr plus extended warranty available for cars over 10ys/100k miles up to 15yrs and 150k miles. I don't know if a car under 10 years but over 100k miles is eligible, so you'll have to check with Lexus. If so it's around £550 a year and includes AA cover.

Like I said, it would really come down to price and condition compared to similar cars, and how many miles I expected to do.

17 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

Relax does not provide very comprehensive cover, certainly not as good as the old cover that could be taken out with Lexus.  If a really good RX450h with an excellent history came up at a very competitive price, I wouldn't rule it out because of the mileage.  However, I would have the annual traction battery cover and maybe general cover from another provider.  There are so many factors to be taken into account, particularly if you are on a limited budget.  Setting aside the cover for repairs, you have to consider how many miles you might put on it and how long would you likely wish to keep it and how you view depreciation for example.  How much more would you be prepared to pay for a similar model with fewer miles or perhaps a slightly older model with lower miles if budget is tight and mileage a concern?  The car will do well over 125K miles if you get a well cared for one but naturally as the miles increase so does the likely cost of maintenance ,although this is likely to be partly offset by lower insurance.  So different people are likely to take a different approach when presented with the sort car you have found.

Barry.. What are the Main differences between the lexus old cover That you mention and the new lexus Relax Warranty..Would be interested.!!!

I had an extended warranty on my car at the time Relax  was initiated on 1sr June 2021.  My extended warranty included free AA recovery and MOT that Relax did not provide. Furthermore, the Relax warranty only covered up to 10K miles per annum.  I took this up with my Lexus dealer who was quite prepared to refund me proportionately for the unexpired period of my extended warranty but advised me to keep it in place as it provided better cover, notwithstanding the fact that I had Relax cover with the service. (Actually, Lexus put their service prices  up to cover the potential claims so it's free at a price you could say!) 

I remember there were a number of posts on the forum at the time which went into more detail.  However, there is a link here that suggests you carefully read the terms and conditions and also relates a post from somebody who was in a similar position to me.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/159610/is-the-cover-of-the-toyota-lexus-relax-warranty-better-or-worse-than-an-extended-warranty- 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links