Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lead time for body parts?

My beloved CT is in for a new rear bumper and tail light (through insurance). They agreed to pay for and use genuine Lexus parts. 

Called up today for an update, they're still waiting for parts. 

Do any of you have any industry experience or body repairs that would know roughly what sort of lead time it takes to get genuine parts? 

I once waited two months for two new doors and a bumper to come from France for a DS3. I hope it's nowhere near that long! 

My nephews Range Rover new bumper whatever, slight damage really, the insurers agreed for the repairer to use 2nd hand from a Breaker / TheBay rather than wait forever, indeterminate months, for brand new ……. he just wanted his car back on the road ok and useable …… just a month out of action rather than forever …..,, practicalities eh ! 

Malc 

• Like 1

On 4/25/2024 at 8:08 PM, Malc1 said:

My nephews Range Rover new bumper whatever, slight damage really, the insurers agreed for the repairer to use 2nd hand from a Breaker / TheBay rather than wait forever, indeterminate months, for brand new ……. he just wanted his car back on the road ok and useable …… just a month out of action rather than forever …..,, practicalities eh ! 

Malc 

Ah naw, they agreed this time to use genuine parts no argument or anything. I’ll be double checking! I wonder if it’ll take ages. Nothing too high tech and 15 years of production behind the CT unlike a RR so fingers crossed

• Like 1

They happily agreed to use genuine brand new in the box Range Rover parts too BUT they’re possibly somewhere in Houtl Hezbollah container ship land and might not be “ here “ for some indeterminate MONTHS sadly

Malc

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Malc1 said:

They happily agreed to use genuine brand new in the box Range Rover parts too BUT they’re possibly somewhere in Houtl Hezbollah container ship land and might not be “ here “ for some indeterminate MONTHS sadly

Malc

I think I’ll give them a call tomorrow and ask them for a detailed update on where it stands. 

Was the Range Rover a relatively new model? I’m hoping that with the CT being probably more common than a RR and on the market longer (if your person has a newer one) that maybe it’ll not be the same 😕 

I don’t know its age but he’s had it a few years and bought it 2nd hand from Marshall’s Cambridge ? ……. Suez hold ups are a fact of life right now ……. Indeterminate timeline 

Malc 

On 4/29/2024 at 7:15 AM, Malc1 said:

I don’t know its age but he’s had it a few years and bought it 2nd hand from Marshall’s Cambridge ? ……. Suez hold ups are a fact of life right now ……. Indeterminate timeline 

Malc 

Well, the only plus is, that the cost of this courtesy car in the meantime will be going on to the third party's insurance bill... 

8 minutes ago, CT200NI said:

Well, the only plus is, that the cost of this courtesy car in the meantime will be going on to the third party's insurance bill... 

Then onto all our insurance bills. It is costs like this causing insurance companies to raise rates, we all suffer.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CT200NI said:

Indeterminate timeline 

clearly wishing it could have been repaired with brand new bits BUT sense prevailed and he convinced the insurers to agree 2ndhand parts, for speed as much as anything else .........  and rather than using any insce provided interim car he's happily used his daughter's car as she's away at Uni and it's good to have the other car to use ( and being used daily )  and not to be another drain on the insurance costs all round 

Malc

13 hours ago, Moleman said:

Then onto all our insurance bills. It is costs like this causing insurance companies to raise rates, we all suffer.

Not quite. 

it’s a claims management company paying for the repair. And in this case, coming from the insurance policy of an arrogant biker so if anything, it’ll knock their prices up. Hopefully so high that such idiots just don’t bother…

Thankfully insurance (and the claims management company) both independently came to the same conclusion that I’m not at fault. If I could buy stock in Nextbase, I truly would 🙏

7 hours ago, Malc1 said:

clearly wishing it could have been repaired with brand new bits BUT sense prevailed and he convinced the insurers to agree 2ndhand parts, for speed as much as anything else .........  and rather than using any insce provided interim car he's happily used his daughter's car as she's away at Uni and it's good to have the other car to use ( and being used daily )  and not to be another drain on the insurance costs all round 

Malc

Got the car back today.  All good except the clear coat is a bit noticeably thicker. And the tail light is popped out a bit. Will give them a ring in the morning. 

IMG_3625.jpeg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CT200NI said:

Not quite. 

it’s a claims management company paying for the repair. And in this case, coming from the insurance policy of an arrogant biker so if anything, it’ll knock their prices up. Hopefully so high that such idiots just don’t bother…

Thankfully insurance (and the claims management company) both independently came to the same conclusion that I’m not at fault. If I could buy stock in Nextbase, I truly would 🙏

And your prices will go up along with the rest of us.

Claims management companies make money from inflating the costs of claims, bringing in extra new costs, charging excessive prices for the services provided. Where do you think that money comes from?

It does not matter which insurance company pays out, or who is at fault, the insurance company will get the money back by charging us all more. What do you think the price rises of the last two years have been about?

Claim management companies are a large part of the problem.

Glad the car has been sorted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moleman said:

And your prices will go up along with the rest of us.

Claims management companies make money from inflating the costs of claims, bringing in extra new costs, charging excessive prices for the services provided. Where do you think that money comes from?

It does not matter which insurance company pays out, or who is at fault, the insurance company will get the money back by charging us all more. What do you think the price rises of the last two years have been about?

Claim management companies are a large part of the problem.

Glad the car has been sorted.

The last two years, because of EV repair costs. They're much less modular than repairing an engine car and insurers have admitted to spreading the cost across us all. 

That's insurances job. I agree it's unfair sometimes, but so be it. 

Axa wanted me to pay my excess, wait an unspecified amount of time, pay for the courtesy car and put an actual claim on my policy until it was sorted, with no guarantee it would go my way - potentially leaving me with a claim for something not my fault but impacting my insurance on renewal.. until (if) they agreed and reimbursed it... No chance in hell.  

The claims management company was able to guarantee me timelines, sort me out immediately, at zero cost and zero risk to me. They deserve their fee. 

And also... genuine parts. That's what insurance companies should be using by default... if someone wants to save cash by using pattern parts, let them do it for sure, but nope. No sympathy for insurance companies whatsoever. 

I do think as long as it's a legal requirement, the government should be regulating / ensuring 'fair' pricing though. 

2 minutes ago, CT200NI said:

The claims management company was able to guarantee me timelines, sort me out immediately, at zero cost and zero risk to me. They deserve their fee. 

That's what the owner of the car of an event I was involved with a few yeras ago with my Honda Legend  thought too .......  until ........  I pushed and pushed and wasn't going to give up, so much so that the Claims Handling Coy threw in the towel and just gave up with their client .....  and it all went thru' the insurers as normal !

But your case seems rather straightforward  ............ hopefully

Malc

22 minutes ago, CT200NI said:

Which you, me and every other driver will pay for the next time we renew.

I am glad it all worked out for you, but do not kid yourself, you will pay for it somewhere.

Hard to complain about rising costs if you are part of the problem.

1 minute ago, Moleman said:

Which you, me and every other driver will pay for the next time we renew.

I am glad it all worked out for you, but do not kid yourself, you will pay for it somewhere.

Hard to complain about rising costs if you are part of the problem.

Well, blame the poor standard of driving from the other guy. Directly, his insurance will go up. The reason? Poor driving leading to an unnecessary RTA. It's a bit crap, but if driving such as that is on the rise, insurance will go up.. as they're paying out more.

As for the me opting to use a CMC, you can say that choice is causing unnecessary levels of increases and blame that as the cause for rising. Personally I'd say the cause is the root cause of the poor driving, if it wasn't for that, then none of this cost incurring crap would be necessary in the first place. 

The CMC is adding value in my opinion worth (the other insurer) paying for... They are much more efficient, transparent and easier to deal with. They'll provide legal cover... courtesy car (a decent one)... freedom of choice of who repairs your car... they really, really fight your corner. Much better than I'd imagine the insurer.. who already gets cash from my pocket upfront, only to potentially get a 'decline' from the other parties insurance... and since my insurance would already be imbursed.. why would they bother fight it? I bet it'd be just like dealing with Autoglass... call to complain... they read out their policy to you and ultimately hang up with no resolution.  I was NOT for letting that happen in this case... no way.  

In my view, insurance uses the cheapest, nastiest repair centres (big bulk contracts with zero effort on their part to maintain quality / customer satisfaction on repair jobs). And said centres will still unnecessarily charge high for parts... think the NHS being charged £80 for a painkiller versus paying for a taxi, to go to Boots, yourself, to get the same thing much cheaper and more efficiently....  That's how I look at it.

I know what you're saying. But I'm not sympathetic at all to the point that people shouldn't use CMCs. They provide a service at the end of the day, much better than my experience with the insurer on this one.  I was sitting pulling my hair out, panicking the evening it happened. It was a bank holiday, couldn't get through to my insurance at all as lines were closed. And even when I did get through the phone advisors didn't really have a clue, they told me to email 600mb of dashcam footage multiple times which I explained kept bouncing back... then a series of calls from random numbers "I'm their investigator...", "I'm their XYZ" with no letters or explanation of the process given to me. I got a call a few days letter saying "we forgot to realise that you had legal cover on your policy.. if you want to use it"... Honestly was not impressed. CMC had someone answer the phone right away, explain it all, sort it all... Better service = justification of more money to support it. Viva la capitalism. 

21 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

That's what the owner of the car of an event I was involved with a few yeras ago with my Honda Legend  thought too .......  until ........  I pushed and pushed and wasn't going to give up, so much so that the Claims Handling Coy threw in the towel and just gave up with their client .....  and it all went thru' the insurers as normal !

But your case seems rather straightforward  ............ hopefully

Malc

Interestingly, the other parts has just put a claim in (2+ weeks later) also using a CMC. I think they'll be throwing in the towel too at some stage as my footage shows their driver dangerously close (stopped) behind my car, and then taking off right into the back when he should have held back until it was safe to move off... Not sure how if he did have a cam, it would 'help' him. He must be lying to the CMC for them to give him any support.  

But if it did... Insurer on my part also said they agree no fault on my end. They have already responded to his CMC to decline liability and are waiting for the response.  Given the CMC and Insurer have both independently found me with no liability, I can't see his end being able to prove otherwise.  I must get the clip on here if you're interested in seeing it

17 minutes ago, CT200NI said:

Directly, his insurance will go up. The reason? 

As for the me opting to use a CMC, you can say that choice is causing unnecessary levels of increases and blame that as the cause for rising. Personally I'd say the cause is the root cause of the poor driving, if it wasn't for that, then none of this cost incurring crap would be necessary in the first place. 

The CMC is adding value in my opinion worth (the other insurer) paying for... They are much more efficient, transparent and easier to deal with. They'll provide legal cover... courtesy car (a decent one)... freedom of choice of who repairs your car... they really, really fight your corner. Much better than I'd imagine the insurer.. who already gets cash from my pocket upfront, only to potentially get a 'decline' from the other parties insurance... and since my insurance would already be imbursed.. why would they bother fight it? I bet it'd be just like dealing with Autoglass... call to complain... they read out their policy to you and ultimately hang up with no resolution.  I was NOT for letting that happen in this case... no way.  

In my view, insurance uses the cheapest, nastiest repair centres (big bulk contracts with zero effort on their part to maintain quality / customer satisfaction on repair jobs). And said centres will still unnecessarily charge high for parts... think the NHS being charged £80 for a painkiller versus paying for a taxi, to go to Boots, yourself, to get the same thing much cheaper and more efficiently....  That's how I look at it.

I know what you're saying. But I'm not sympathetic at all to the point that people shouldn't use CMCs. They provide a service at the end of the day, much better than my experience with the insurer on this one.  I was sitting pulling my hair out, panicking the evening it happened. It was a bank holiday, couldn't get through to my insurance at all as lines were closed. And even when I did get through the phone advisors didn't really have a clue, they told me to email 600mb of dashcam footage multiple times which I explained kept bouncing back... then a series of calls from random numbers "I'm their investigator...", "I'm their XYZ" with no letters or explanation of the process given to me. I got a call a few days letter saying "we forgot to realise that you had legal cover on your policy.. if you want to use it"... Honestly was not impressed. CMC had someone answer the phone right away, explain it all, sort it all... Better service = justification of more money to support it. Viva la capitalism. 

Interestingly, the other parts has just put a claim in (2+ weeks later) also using a CMC. I think they'll be throwing in the towel too at some stage as my footage shows their driver dangerously close (stopped) behind my car, and then taking off right into the back when he should have held back until it was safe to move off... Not sure how if he did have a cam, it would 'help' him. He must be lying to the CMC for them to give him any support.  

But if it did... Insurer on my part also said they agree no fault on my end. They have already responded to his CMC to decline liability and are waiting for the response.  Given the CMC and Insurer have both independently found me with no liability, I can't see his end being able to prove otherwise.  I must get the clip on here if you're interested in seeing it

Directly, his insurance will go up. So will yours, no fault claim or not. You are now seen as more likely to have a claim. The CMC has increased that cost to all. Cause and effect.

The CMC is adding value in my opinion worth (the other insurer) paying for... You do understand that these costs do not come the the other party alone? They are spread across all policy holders by increased premiums. Your insurance company is also facing these costs and you are paying for them.

As I said, I am really pleased it worked out for you.

38 minutes ago, Moleman said:

Directly, his insurance will go up. So will yours, no fault claim or not. You are now seen as more likely to have a claim. The CMC has increased that cost to all. Cause and effect.

If this works out as it's currently heading to, then I won't have a declarable claim to put in my renewal surely. Obviously, Axa will know. If they want to use it as an excuse to put up my premium, I'll go elsewhere. 

The CMC is adding value in my opinion worth (the other insurer) paying for... You do understand that these costs do not come the the other party alone? They are spread across all policy holders by increased premiums. Your insurance company is also facing these costs and you are paying for them.

They told me they recover the costs from the other parts and my insurance won't be affected. I have no reason to doubt them. 

As I said, I am really pleased it worked out for you.

I appreciate that

If this works out as it's currently heading to, then I won't have a declarable claim to put in my renewal surely. Obviously, Axa will know. If they want to use it as an excuse to put up my premium, I'll go elsewhere. 

Do I need to declare a non-fault accident? 

Yes. You need to declare all accidents that you’re involved in, regardless of who or what was at fault.  

Almost every insurance company will have a clause in their policy requiring you to declare any incidents you’ve been involved in while driving in the past five years. If you don’t report something and your insurance provider finds out about it later, they could consider this 'non-disclosure', which could invalidate your policy.

They told me they recover the costs from the other parts and my insurance won't be affected. I have no reason to doubt them. 

Does declaring a non-fault claim affect my insurance?

Yes, unfortunately, it will be recorded on your claims history. In many cases, your premiums will go up after you’ve declared a non-fault claim. This is because your insurance provider will view you as a higher risk in future, even if it wasn’t your fault.

• Sad 1

Likewise this insidious anomaly with a glass claim these days ….. you seem to be OBLIGED to accept this as a Claim on your record  even though it’s, in theory, no claim against you personally BUT it’s clearly a black mark against you whatever going forward …… 

the insurers won’t lose on their car business for sure ….. all us drivers will be contributing to their bottom line PROFITS 

I suppose they have to recoup their catastrophe losses globally somehow …. Floods storms earthquakes whatever 

Our premiums will increase forever I’m sure 

Just dig deeper into your pockets eh ! 🤔

Malc 

• Like 2

That's such a shame, I reckon it should be if you aren't at fault (and bad luck comes your way as in this case despite doing everything I can to be a safe, accident free driver) then I shouldn't have to declare it at all... Damn insurers. 

I noticed that about glass 'including windscreen'. 

You know, it's crazy how it works. Whilst to some extent I understand: riskier driver, higher premium. What I don't understand is recently, for finance, dealers were forced to give 'the same' crap rate to everyone because apparently, punishing people for poor finance hygiene was 'unfair'.  Yet, insurance, (unlike finance, a mandatory thing by law) they are allowed to discriminate not just on fair things like bad areas or bad record drivers, but unfair things like 'people with your kind of car have X accidents' or 'oh, you got ran into? we agree not your fault, BUT, still, you're just accident prone'.  I reckon the law should get involved with regulation for as long as it's a mandatory requirement. 

100% they'll always go up, right?  Definitely because of EVs as of recently. But as you say... floods... storms etc. Then the usual excuses, inflation, cost of living / operating rising... 

Everyone I know who has renewed already this year has had massive increases, the least was £200. This is with no claims (not even non fault claims).  Who knows now how mine will go up, but even without this accident, it'd likely have went up a good bit for nothing. At least now... Axa (or the insurers 'in general'/'as a pool' like mentioned above, can have some damn work to do and expenses to pay for, to justify it to me 👍 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links