Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS460 Steering issue DTC C15A9

Doc Brown

Hi Guys,

I am currently in serious discussion with Lexus UK regarding problems with the power steering on my Dec 2006 (61000 mile) Lexus LS460L. Got exceeding full lock warning on display two months ago followed by steering wheel now offset by 45 degrees and DTC C15A9 diagnosed.

Apparently the early 460s had problems with their VGRS system and there was a voluntary safety recall in 2010 to replace the power steering ECUs for cars manufactured in 2008/09.  Only 44 cars were recalled in the UK, so after some digging, I got my hands on an internal Lexus Technical Service Bulletin from 10/10/2008. It reveals that Lexus were aware that the original design of VGRS was not fit for purpose and consequently the lock holder components on the steering link assembly were modified to prevent lock holder movement and the VGRS software was changed in the ECU. Production changes were implemented in October 2007 (only 15 months after LS460 and LS600h were put into production in June 2006).

As it turns out, I suspect the 2010 safety recall was to replace the modified PS ECUs from 2007/8 manufactured cars onwards (same phenomenon as was being experienced as with early production models).  I did find information that in the USA, four 2006/7 cars that had their power steering ECUs replaced under warranty, then had to have them replaced again under the 2010 recall.

I have found out that one chap on LOC from Ayrshire had the same problem I have, repaired f.o.c in 2010 as his Warranty had only ran out 4 weeks earlier. 

It would appear that Lexus has mostly managed to keep this problem swept under the carpet, and has probably thought that it has gone away now.  However, my argument is that Lexus sold a premium vehicle in 2006/7 with systemic design flaws that should have been dealt with under a product recall. If the problem did manifest in the first 3 years, then those owners were lucky (covered by warranty). However, for the rest of us, if you were/are unfortunate enough to have suffered this problem, then what was a £5000 repair in 2010 is now £8800 for parts (UK Lexus prices) plus labour (1 day).

I can currently get the same parts from Japanese based OEM parts supplier Megazip for £3031. Any import duty charged would be on the link assembly only (if at all) as ECUs are import duty free.  Either Lexus UK are exorbitantly greedy or their parts chief buyer needs sacking.

Apologies about the rant. 

Doc Brown 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links