Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tips for buying a used Altezza

D100102

Hello everyone, i'm going to be viewing 2 fresh import Altezzas, both are 2002 RS200 Zs, 65000 and 100000 miles. based on pictures the one with more mileage actually looks better kept but has a few mods. (i can provide a list if you want) I was wondering if there's any specific things to keep an eye out that i could miss or things that typically can fail given the Altezzas' age. i will be test driving both which should help me feel it out for myself but i was hoping those of you who are experienced with these beautiful motors could give me a couple tips. thanks! 🙂

Hi Deen and welcome to the LOC.

I owned a 1994 JDM Toyota Celsior (Lexus LS400) for 16 years and now own a 2004 Toyota Celsior (Lexus LS430).

If they are already in the UK that’s a bonus as all the taxes are paid, they meet UK requirements e.g. rear fog lights and also registered.

If buying from a dealer you also have consumer rights.

If possible ask to see the Japanese auction paperwork as these show the “Grade” of the car (1-5 where 5 is immaculate) and there is a diagram of the car showing any damage or marks and importantly the mileage in KMs.

If the speedometer has been converted to MPH make sure the odometer reflects the KMs to miles conversion.

JDM cars are generally well looked after and in good condition (no road salt in Japan), most of the flood damaged and irradiated ones were scrapped years ago.

You will be very lucky to get a Japanese service history with the car and if you do unlikely to be able to read it so checking for service items like cam belt changes is difficult unless there are stickers. Oil services usually have the stickers on the driver’s side A panel inside the door.

Where there is no history of a cam belt change I would request replacement before purchase or budget the job in the sales price I.e. haggle.

The 3S-GE Black Top engine is fairly solid but check for any oil consumption or blue smoke in the exhaust, good replacement engines are hard to find.

Check for suspension knocks and clunks during the test drive and that the brakes pull you up straight, seized brake callipers are common if not serviced correctly.

Check the MOT online, I would not expect to see any advisories.

Have you got an insurance quote yet as mainstream insurers tend not to touch imports?

Finally be advised JDM cars are not ULEZ compliant so avoid London!

P.S. what are the mods on one of them, please don’t say lace seat covers 😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/11/2023 at 6:13 PM, steve2006 said:

Hi Deen and welcome to the LOC.

I owned a 1994 JDM Toyota Celsior (Lexus LS400) for 16 years and now own a 2004 Toyota Celsior (Lexus LS430).

If they are already in the UK that’s a bonus as all the taxes are paid, they meet UK requirements e.g. rear fog lights and also registered.

If buying from a dealer you also have consumer rights.

If possible ask to see the Japanese auction paperwork as these show the “Grade” of the car (1-5 where 5 is immaculate) and there is a diagram of the car showing any damage or marks and importantly the mileage in KMs.

If the speedometer has been converted to MPH make sure the odometer reflects the KMs to miles conversion.

JDM cars are generally well looked after and in good condition (no road salt in Japan), most of the flood damaged and irradiated ones were scrapped years ago.

You will be very lucky to get a Japanese service history with the car and if you do unlikely to be able to read it so checking for service items like cam belt changes is difficult unless there are stickers. Oil services usually have the stickers on the driver’s side A panel inside the door.

Where there is no history of a cam belt change I would request replacement before purchase or budget the job in the sales price I.e. haggle.

The 3S-GE Black Top engine is fairly solid but check for any oil consumption or blue smoke in the exhaust, good replacement engines are hard to find.

Check for suspension knocks and clunks during the test drive and that the brakes pull you up straight, seized brake callipers are common if not serviced correctly.

Check the MOT online, I would not expect to see any advisories.

Have you got an insurance quote yet as mainstream insurers tend not to touch imports?

Finally be advised JDM cars are not ULEZ compliant so avoid London!

P.S. what are the mods on one of them, please don’t say lace seat covers 😀

Hi Steve! Thanks for your response and apologies for not replying quicker.

auction paperwork completely slipped my mind!! But I remember the silver owner mentioning 3.5. Both MOTs passed with no advisories .

I’ve viewed both cars, the white one with more mileage and mods which was through a dealer (that I’d thought was tidier on pics) turned out to be the worse of the 2, lots of signs of wear on the interior, blue smoke on cold start, oil smelled strongly of gasoline, felt like the clutch might’ve been on the way out. I’ve never owned a car with an LSD but on driving back into his yard at no more than 2-3mph the back end was slipping on the gravel!! which I’m sure ain’t right. Both are the 3SGE black top but on the test drive it felt like it was lazy (idk how else to describe it) compared to the silver. The silver with 65000 miles was the one that I was prepared to make an offer on, perfect test drive. However both this one and the white one had next to no service history (which I’m now aware is pretty common with imports) but the white one at least had stickers for services and cam change whereas this one had nothing. I did have a look at the cam itself which looked in good condition (see pic) but still something I’d end up changing as I can’t be certain. Had an hks filter fitted and the piping was starting to crack, he also didn’t know if the water pump had been done. Im aware the cars are over 20yrs old (same age as me infact) but there was scratches on every panel, I’ve shown the worst in pics. All this considered he would only drop the price a couple hundred quid which would’ve probably just covered my petrol home! As for insurance, I did get a quote I was happy with and I don’t go into London very often anymore. I’ll keep an eye on the listing and if it’s still up couple months down the line I might give him a ring but as of now, no cigar 🤷‍♂️.

Listed mods straight from the ad for the white one:

Aftermarket Full Aero Bodykit TTE Style: Rare NEO V2 Front Bumper / Side Skirts / Rear Spoiler
HiD Headlights
Sports Exhaust
17" Advan Racing JDM alloys - Good Tyres All Round
Aftermarket Suspension (lowering springs)
Cusco Strut Brace
Coilpack to HT Lead Conversion
DEFI Sequential Digital Gauge 
TRD Gearknob
Upgraded Oil Cooler and Pipes
Uprated Differential (LSD)

IMG_3512.jpeg

IMG_3511.jpeg

IMG_3514.jpeg

IMG_3516.jpeg

IMG_3519.jpeg

On 10/12/2023 at 8:49 PM, DAN@ADRIAN FLUX said:

Hi.

If you ever need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

Thanks Dan, much appreciated 😁

Good to hear you have looked at both and you have done your research.

As you mention these cars are now getting on a bit and obviously you’re not going to get a concours example unless you want to pay stupid amounts of money and even that’s no guarantee.

You’ve done the right thing by walking away and waiting, that “good” one will eventually appear and it shows you have a mature head on your shoulders.

It was only a few years ago that importing your own from Japan was another option but prices have now gone through the roof (particularly shipping costs). Add in the duty, VAT and UK registration costs and you’re easily into a five figure sum.

Another thing to now consider are the supply of spare parts for the older models as they are becoming NLA on a daily basis.

Regarding the suspect LSD it does make you wonder if someone has fitted a standard IS200 one!
Good luck with you continuing search, take your time as it will eventually turn up 😀

• Like 1

Funnily enough, these last days I’ve been looking at Japanese auctions and the costs of importing but as you’ve confirmed it looks quite pricey 😆

I’ll admit the doubt/regret of not snatching it up has played on my mind multiple times. Probably because they’re the only decent two anywhere on the market (you’d likely find both ads with a quick search) but I know i should stick to my guns and I appreciate you reinforcing that as well as ALL the rest of your advice!! 

hopefully another one comes my way soon and I can fully join the club. I’ll make another post if i do. 

thanks for your help! :))

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links