Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus is250 2011 potential head gasket issue 106k miles

bixtape

Hi guys , I've seen other threads about head gasket issues , however I'm not yet sure if the head gasket is on its way out or it's something else , considering all the issues I'm having .

So about 2 months ago I started hearing squeeking noises and replaced the serpentine belt . After a month I started noticing whine noise on a cold engine and identified the water pump is on it's way out - just replaced water pump (aisin ) , thermostat ( aisin).The mechanic found out as well as the old WP leaking also the radiator h as been leaking and the tensioner pulley on its way out. I've taken a screenshot of the video he took. After all he's taken out about 5L of coolant from the system. 

He suggests that it's been like that for quite a long time (months) and I do admit topping up a little bit of coolant (some random one from Halfords which I kinda regret now )few months ago and when he checked the radiator hoses , they were very hard for a car that sat overnight with a cold engine . He suggests that potentially the head gasket is on its way out and I should check with a garage that deals with these kind of stuff to confirm whether this is the case or something else. 

The car has never overheated , the temp gauge has always been reaching almost the middle ( just a tad bit before the middle)  just like all other 250's and now having the new thermostat I don't think there would be a case of missing overheating. 

However I do have secondary cats as some of you might know that need changing , exhaust leaks and one of the downstream o2 sensors dead , which needs changing but everytime something like this pops up and I keep delaying it. 

I do experience a slight jump in RPMS from second to third gear , as there's an issue with the throttle body , however I believe that's because I'm running rich / exhaust leaks / cats needs changing.

My question is - should I buy a head gasket tester kit ? If yes - which one would you recommend , or should I go to a garage? 

I will be replacing the radiator in the next few days , can someone vouch for the brand Nissens having a good fit and reliability ?  

Should I replace the radiator hoses ? 

I'd be very thankful if you can point me out in the right direction, because I really don't want to be selling the car , I love it and I have no idea what car I would enjoy as much , but if identified 100% head gasket issue , I see no other reasonable solution 

image.jpeg

Can't answer for more specific questions, but whatever you do you first need to check that head gasket issue, because if you have head gasket issues then there is no point doing anything else. 

If engine has overheated is it scrap, theoretically it can be fixed, but it is uneconomical fix, it is cheaper to replace the engine than fix it... and as it seems from your thinking about - you would get rid of the car if it turns out to have head gasket issue (which I can't blame you for).

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links