Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help required

My diesel IS220D 2010 reg recently started acting weird (video attached). In neutral girl when engine is warm and for example I am waiting in traffic light- revs starting acting weird and engine switches off.. cold start is fine, it just when is warm.. 

i am thinking it could be injectors, fuel pump (maybe) or some non-sense like EGR (which I recently reset via diagnostic system).

In overall I think is worst car I ever had- problem after problem.

i would appreciate if somebody would be able to advise

I assume you get no codes?

You would need to look at live-data to understand why it is stalling when warm and in idle. EGR could be related, but I can't see link between car being warm... if EGR is blocked then it would be just generally down on power, cold, warm idle or on power. Same for all other things you mentioned - fuel pump, when it fails it fails, injectors could be linked to rough running, but it will always be rough.

I would almost suspect some sensor being an issue, so when car warms-up sensor gives some sort of incorrect reading, causes maybe lean burn and car starts stalling. Something like MAF, or oxygen sensor, again you will need live-data to look at such intermittent issues and even then it will be pain, because you looking for needle in a haystack, or rather for a straw in the mountain of needles. 

IS220d - is worst Lexus ever made, there is no doubt about it. What you describing is pretty standard experience people get with these cars, especially in recent years when they got to the price point and age where they are neglected. If you got one from new and always stayed on top of maintenance, they still worst Lexus ever, but not much worse than competition (say BMW 320d), however by now that all of them are sheds an uneconomical to repair I it highly recommended no to buy them, if you ask this question on the forum, the answer will always be "avoid like a plague". 

• Like 1

What diagnostic system did you actually use Poor? If it was Techstream then fine. If not then you've wasted money on whatever diagnostic system you got. 

Techstream will show hidden codes too. 

I've had a few diesels in my time but I've never come across your symptoms. How long have you had the car? Why did you choose the diesel?

2 hours ago, Linas.P said:

I assume you get no codes?

You would need to look at live-data to understand why it is stalling when warm and in idle. EGR could be related, but I can't see link between car being warm... if EGR is blocked then it would be just generally down on power, cold, warm idle or on power. Same for all other things you mentioned - fuel pump, when it fails it fails, injectors could be linked to rough running, but it will always be rough.

I would almost suspect some sensor being an issue, so when car warms-up sensor gives some sort of incorrect reading, causes maybe lean burn and car starts stalling. Something like MAF, or oxygen sensor, again you will need live-data to look at such intermittent issues and even then it will be pain, because you looking for needle in a haystack, or rather for a straw in the mountain of needles. 

IS220d - is worst Lexus ever made, there is no doubt about it. What you describing is pretty standard experience people get with these cars, especially in recent years when they got to the price point and age where they are neglected. If you got one from new and always stayed on top of maintenance, they still worst Lexus ever, but not much worse than competition (say BMW 320d), however by now that all of them are sheds an uneconomical to repair I it highly recommended no to buy them, if you ask this question on the forum, the answer will always be "avoid like a plague". 

Thank you Linas 🙂 Aciu

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links