Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Consistent uneven wear on tyres

Boomer54

If you were looking at a cars mot history and you can see that over a 10 year period and a couple of tyre changes that the tyres front and indeed rear were advisory on excessive wear on the inner tread then what would you be specifically looking at to explain that issue? Obviously a new set of tyres is fine for awhile ,but you can see that the inner tread wear is shortening the life cycle of the tyre causing them to need changing sooner than would otherise be the case. Moreover might you notice this through the steering? Feedback appreciated.

For clarity I am not sure I want his car ,but I am curious as to what would cause an issue like this? Whatever it is it isn't showing up on the mot other than through the tyres eventually.

It might show up through the steering but start with a 4 wheel alignment check. That should identify where the problem lies.

Wear on the inside, it may be a toe-in, camber or castor issue. 

Sometimes it's more obvious than others. 🙂

http://fatlace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/D2.jpg

• Haha 1

Check all the suspension bushings, linkages and bearings and eliminate any play before an alignment. Use a small crow bar to lever the various suspension members to check for worn bushings and links .

• Thanks 1

These cars wear out tyres on the inner edges on the front, of the dozens of mot history checks I’ve done on these  cars over the years , it’s the number one common fault.

whats also common from my days in the motor trade is tyres are swapped front to rear to get more wear out of them .

So a worn pair on the front could have been moved to the back.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mihanicos said:

Check all the suspension bushings, linkages and bearings and eliminate any play before an alignment. Use a small crow bar to lever the various suspension members to check for worn bushings and links .

Which actually links very well with the rest of the advisory history on that specific car.

11 hours ago, Mihanicos said:

Hopefully they would all show up on the most recent MOT as a fail or advisory item......well if Bob was doing it they would. 🤣

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links