Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Charging the hybrid battery

On 1/30/2024 at 10:16 AM, Simon and Heather said:

I’ve ordered an ES300h. How much coasting or braking does it take to charge the hybrid battery?

Don't bother giving it a thought. It sorts itself out. Mine is rarely 'fully charged', only after a long mountain descent. The system doesn't allow it get too low either, just diverts power generated by the engine to charge the Battery if needed. 

One of those rare things that just 'works'.

Enjoy your purchase!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Sandandlime said:

Don't bother giving it a thought. It sorts itself out. Mine is rarely 'fully charged', only after a long mountain descent. The system doesn't allow it get too low either, just diverts power generated by the engine to charge the battery if needed. 

One of those rare things that just 'works'.

Enjoy your purchase!

Spot on Tony!

As above the Hybrid system will manage the charge status and not something to worry about.

When at the minimum charge (something like 20%) the engine will start (if not already running) and recovers to max normal (something like 80%) within a few miles of driving.  You'll only ever get to 100% after extended braking.

• Like 1

It's unfathomable, sometimes when it's nearly fully charged and you think it will decide to use Battery it uses engine. If you notice that it's using engine you can lift your foot off the accelerator slightly and it will revert to Battery for a while but then will do it's own thing again. One thing l have noticed, if it runs on Battery and engine at the same time it shows on the Lexus app under hybrid coaching as engine and not both.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links