Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Extended Plus Warranty

Well it's been almost 3 years since I bought my RX and I have to say it's been a joy to own. It's been covered by a 3 year extended warranty and service package by Lexus Derby who have been absolutely fine. The warranty has been called upon three times, internal movement sensor, air con condenser and rear trailing arms. This more than justified the warranty investment. So based on this experience I have bought a one year Extended Plus Warranty payable in ten installments admin via TWG as usual. But at 93k and 13 years old it seems a a sensible risk as it represents £45 a month cost of ownership which I can well live with. But I have held back on renewing a service agreement as it offered an intermediate followed by a full? I just couldn't see the justication for a full service after say 3000 miles, throwing away iridium plugs for example! I welcome LOC thoughts? 

I couldn't agree more with you Phil, a full-blown service is in my view simply not necessary, and I have to say my Lexus dealer agreed with me. In theory, and according to age, it should have had a 60K service with just under 11k on the clock! Last time around we agreed an intermediate service, especially so because it had a full service at something like 5K miles followed by 2 intermediate services. In reality, it has had 6 oil changes over 11k miles, new filter each time, new air filters twice etc. I'll make a judgement call come July this year, but this car has had far more services than is necessary.

6 minutes ago, Brian R said:

I couldn't agree more with you Phil, a full-blown service is in my view simply not necessary, and I have to say my Lexus dealer agreed with me. In theory, and according to age, it should have had a 60K service with just under 11k on the clock! Last time around we agreed an intermediate service, especially so because it had a full service at something like 5K miles followed by 2 intermediate services. In reality, it has had 6 oil changes over 11k miles, new filter each time, new air filters twice etc. I'll make a judgement call come July this year, but this car has had far more services than is necessary.

Totally agree with you Brian, alongside the sensational Relax iniative it's time Lexus /Toyota introduced a service interval more attuned to today's ideals of, sustainability, waste reduction, reduced cost of consumption etc etc 

4 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

Well it's been almost 3 years since I bought my RX and I have to say it's been a joy to own. It's been covered by a 3 year extended warranty and service package by Lexus Derby who have been absolutely fine. The warranty has been called upon three times, internal movement sensor, air con condenser and rear trailing arms. This more than justified the warranty investment. So based on this experience I have bought a one year Extended Plus Warranty payable in ten installments admin via TWG as usual. But at 93k and 13 years old it seems a a sensible risk as it represents £45 a month cost of ownership which I can well live with. But I have held back on renewing a service agreement as it offered an intermediate followed by a full? I just couldn't see the justication for a full service after say 3000 miles, throwing away Iridium plugs for example! I welcome LOC thoughts? 

For the 10 year plus extended warranty to remain valid the car must be serviced by a Lexus dealer according to the service schedule (annually or 10k miles whichever comes first). If a service is skipped then the warranty will become invalid. Also the service includes the hybrid health check and this only lasts one year or 10k miles whichever comes first, although this could be renewed annually by having it done separately to the service for around £70 - but the invalidiy of the extended warranty would still be an issue. 

• Like 1

Good to hear that it's still going well for you.

Plugs do not need to be changed on a time basis, so if they were done at 60k they'll next need doing at 120k.

But otherwise I would imagine the cycle of intermediate/full/intermediate/full etc would be required to maintain the Relax or Extended Plus warranty, regardless of mileage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Good to hear that it's still going well for you.

Plugs do not need to be changed on a time basis, so if they were done at 60k they'll next need doing at 120k.

But otherwise I would imagine the cycle of intermediate/full/intermediate/full etc would be required to maintain the Relax or Extended Plus warranty, regardless of mileage.

I believe providing it has had a service, be it full or intermediate, then the Relax warranty still applies. I stand to be corrected on that, but I have had some warranty work done since my last service (intermediate rather than a full) and with no issues being raised by Lexus or my dealer.

19 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

Well it's been almost 3 years since I bought my RX and I have to say it's been a joy to own. It's been covered by a 3 year extended warranty and service package by Lexus Derby who have been absolutely fine. The warranty has been called upon three times, internal movement sensor, air con condenser and rear trailing arms. This more than justified the warranty investment. So based on this experience I have bought a one year Extended Plus Warranty payable in ten installments admin via TWG as usual. But at 93k and 13 years old it seems a a sensible risk as it represents £45 a month cost of ownership which I can well live with. But I have held back on renewing a service agreement as it offered an intermediate followed by a full? I just couldn't see the justication for a full service after say 3000 miles, throwing away Iridium plugs for example! I welcome LOC thoughts? 

Hi Phil.

Can you tell me a little more please about the rear trailing arms issue you had and just what was wrong..

Was it the bushings that needed changing as if they changed them under warranty that is good to know.

On 2/22/2024 at 8:27 PM, wharfhouse said:

For the 10 year plus extended warranty to remain valid the car must be serviced by a Lexus dealer according to the service schedule (annually or 10k miles whichever comes first). If a service is skipped then the warranty will become invalid. Also the service includes the hybrid health check and this only lasts one year or 10k miles whichever comes first, although this could be renewed annually by having it done separately to the service for around £70 - but the invalidiy of the extended warranty would still be an issue. 

Quite correct Phil, had I needed a full service I would not have bothered but intermediate is acceptable. I have paid for a HHC last week which means that I have one in hand for 25/26. As this will be the 15th year I don't think Extended plus will be available so my decisions will be made for me. 

• Like 1

On 2/22/2024 at 8:27 PM, wharfhouse said:

Quite correct Phil, had I needed a full service I would not have bothered but intermediate is acceptable. I have paid for a HHC last week which means that I have one in hand for 25/26. As this will be the 15th year I don't think Extended plus will be available so my decisions will be made for me.

On 2/23/2024 at 7:56 AM, VFR said:

Hi Phil.

Can you tell me a little more please about the rear trailing arms issue you had and just what was wrong..

Was it the bushings that needed changing as if they changed them under warranty that is good to know.

Yes Brian, when I bought the car from Lexus Newcastle driving it back there was a noise from the rear bit like old bed springs! Derby identified it as delamination of bushes in the rear trailing arm assembly a very expensive fix that Newcastle should have covered under dealer warranty. After some backwards and forwards between Derby and Newcastle someone covered the cost not sure who but it was not me 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Phil xxkr said:

Yes Brian, when I bought the car from Lexus Newcastle driving it back there was a noise from the rear bit like old bed springs! Derby identified it as delamination of bushes in the rear trailing arm assembly a very expensive fix that Newcastle should have covered under dealer warranty. After some backwards and forwards between Derby and Newcastle someone covered the cost not sure who but it was not me 😎

Thanks for that info Phil and I will ask my local dealer who last serviced my car and pointed out that the trailing arm bushing had seen better days to make a warranty claim for me. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links