Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Tried various public chargers but my RZ450e will not charge... public charger message says "Starting" but doesn't change from this and the charge port on the car is not locked.

What am I doing wrong? Down to my last 20% 😞

My other car is a Tesla Model 3 - had it for almost 4 years and never had a charging issue.

Only 3 weeks in and a bit disillusioned with the car despite loving the look, space, and the way it drives

Have you tried a slower type 2 (7kwh) ? Or if you’ve only been trying those, try a CCS fast charger? 

otherwise I’m afraid back to your dealer - ideally before your Battery runs out…

Charging procedure should be the same as you are used to. When you say the charge port is not locked, can you remove the cable after the “starting” message on the charger. I’m sure it’s the same on the Tesla, you plug in, start the charger and can’t remove the cable until the charger has closed down and the green light in the charge port is out. Do you get a green light when you plug the cable in ? If you don’t then the car has an issue.
My car had to have the AC charge module replaced but it would charge on a DC Ultra / fast. Someone on here had the opposite problem - their DC module was faulty but could charge on AC chargers. 
Good luck getting it sorted - it’s seems to be a bit of a lottery on whether the local dealer has experienced EV technicians

• 3 weeks later...

Interested to know if you did need to take it in for support and what was the fix. Had my RZ for one week and even though the cable clicks when connected to the car and the green circle comes on the home charger, it's hit and miss whether it charges. Takes lots of taking the cable out putting it back in etc before it works. Had the same thing using a charger at work. Despite the schedule set the same in the lexus app and the home charger it's only once clicked in and charged. Having to do manual mode and keep messing with the cable until it clicks and starts. Haven't tried public charging or fast charger yet.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, ClaireC said:

Interested to know if you did need to take it in for support and what was the fix. Had my RZ for one week and even though the cable clicks when connected to the car and the green circle comes on the home charger, it's hit and miss whether it charges. Takes lots of taking the cable out putting it back in etc before it works. Had the same thing using a charger at work. Despite the schedule set the same in the lexus app and the home charger it's only once clicked in and charged. Having to do manual mode and keep messing with the cable until it clicks and starts. Haven't tried public charging or fast charger yet.

Get it back to the dealer. I had repeated problems from new with clicking and not locking in place and had to keep taking the cable in/out to get it to work. It was a right faff. At first, the dealer said there was not a problem but months later admitted they had problems with their demo cars.  To cut a very long story short, they eventually changed the socket and I haven't had a problem since. The fact that it took 7 months to acknowledge the problem and fix it is the most annoying thing.

• Sad 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links