Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus 450h Tacuma Stolen - Surrey- 2024 Warning

Hi All,

Sadly my  2021 Lexus 450h Tacuma was stolen last night. We have video. The thieves got in under the front passenger wheel arch and somehow opened, started and drove of in the vehicle in under 2 minutes.

Be warned - its not just hiding your keys. Recently fully serviced and valeted --- what can I say ---- I hope it does not happen to you.

I strongly urge you to get a tracker - ( Lexus Link is NOT a tracker - we registered )

All owners beware .

Please please let other Lexus owners know.

Lexus garages are aware - and why they do not fight back and urge Cutoemrs to fit trackers or fix the SECUIRTY FLAW makes me wonder....

What Lexus are going to do.....sympathy.....

Ah well. The most reliable car in the world just got KO'd

JD 

• Sad 5

23 minutes ago, Lexus450h said:

Hi All,

Sadly my  2021 Lexus 450h Tacuma was stolen last night. We have video. The thieves got in under the front passenger wheel arch and somehow opened, started and drove of in the vehicle in under 2 minutes.

Be warned - its not just hiding your keys. Recently fully serviced and valeted --- what can I say ---- I hope it does not happen to you.

I strongly urge you to get a tracker - ( Lexus Link is NOT a tracker - we registered )

All owners beware .

Lexus garages are aware - and why they do not fight back and urge Cutoemrs to fit trackers or fix the SECUIRTY FLAW makes me wonder....

JD 

Had you not arranged with your dealer to get the security plates fitted that Lexus have developed to protect this Canbus system behind the left headlight?

Quite a few owners have already had this fitted..I got mine done beginning of September when in for its first service.. and that is living up the North East where this doesn't seem a problem... yet.

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Lexus450h said:

Hi All,

All owners beware .

JD 

Sorry to hear the bad news and it's just awful.

I think more needs to be done to stop theses criminals and also if they are breaking them up or sending abroad.

Sadly more cars are electronic nowadays and perhaps the old crooklock of the 90s need to come back!

• Like 3

I was in for my first full service in Dec2023 and nobody told me or offered me such plates...was not aware.... but  Lexus must have been.. full service £660.

• Sad 2

28 minutes ago, Lexus450h said:

I was in for my first full service in Dec2023 and nobody told me or offered me such plates...was not aware.... but  Lexus must have been.. full service £660.

Why would they offer you the plate? 

I understand that this is a difficult time but some of the responsibility does lie with the owner as to their car security.

Many owners are well aware and had the protection plates fitted. I had mine done many many months ago when I had the 450h and the information is quite readily available 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lexus450h said:

I first saw the issue mentioned on here around July last year and contacted Lexus myself when I saw they had developed the security plates.

I then arranged for them to deliver the plates to my dealer for its first service, Lexus contacted my dealer to let them know.

• Like 1

I think a very small subset of Lexus owners use or read this forum (and why should they - for most people it is a way of getting form A to B - they are not enthusiasts).  I don't think it is reasonable to expect an owner of a pretty new vehicle to know that a security enhancement has been made to their vehicle if neither the dealer of manufacturer has alerted them to the fact.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I am still waiting to get my canbus fitted - in the meantime I am using a good old Halfords sourced crook lock on the steering wheel - clearly visible and an extra deterrent - on top of this the car is always double locked - if they can still get away wiht my pride and joy, then I know I have done all I can.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PDM said:

I think a very small subset of Lexus owners use or read this forum (and why should they - for most people it is a way of getting form A to B - they are not enthusiasts).  I don't think it is reasonable to expect an owner of a pretty new vehicle to know that a security enhancement has been made to their vehicle if neither the dealer of manufacturer has alerted them to the fact.

I disagree.

It is in part the owners responsibility as well to understand their vehicle and the risks that come with that particular vehicle especially when there is a (free) solution to the issue, similiar to how they have responsibility of their property security / health etc etc etc. The whole world seems to know about Range Rover thefts and Keyless thefts of various marques for example. 

The problem is that humans are generally stupid and oblivious to their surroundings - it takes very little research to find canbus theft articles on Toyota / Lexus vehicles.

• Sad 1

rayaans- Where did you learn of CanBus thefts and Lexus providing the plates ?

Why would a normal owner of a Lexus be aware of a post manufacture fitting of a security measure, other than by a recall. Keyless thefts have been all over the media for years and manufacturers have changed key devices etc as did Lexus. It’s because Keyless became more secure the thieves found and exploited the CanBus vulnerability.

Newspapers and other media explained how keyless theft works and how to overcome it. In all the articles I have read about Lexus having the 2nd highest theft rate, none of them mentioned CanBus attacks so normal owners assume it is Keyless. 
Other than on these type of forums / websites no media has broadcast or informed about CanBus thefts. Lexus aren’t going to, as that just attracts even more thefts. 

I think it is wrong to suggest that the owner is in any way responsible for a theft because they didn’t have a little known post manufacturing device fitted - that is a small step away from saying insurers shouldn’t pay out if an owner hasn’t taken every single measure to prevent a theft. 

• Like 10

On 1/11/2024 at 1:10 PM, Lexus450h said:

All owners beware .

Unfortunately we are all too aware of this issue on these forums.

Back as far as 2021 we had reports of stolen RXs where the owner was sure the keys weren't relayed - very likely to have been a CAN bus attack, we just didn't know at the time.

• Like 2

On 1/11/2024 at 9:00 PM, wivenhoe said:

rayaans- Where did you learn of CanBus thefts and Lexus providing the plates ?

Why would a normal owner of a Lexus be aware of a post manufacture fitting of a security measure, other than by a recall. Keyless thefts have been all over the media for years and manufacturers have changed key devices etc as did Lexus. It’s because Keyless became more secure the thieves found and exploited the CanBus vulnerability.

Newspapers and other media explained how keyless theft works and how to overcome it. In all the articles I have read about Lexus having the 2nd highest theft rate, none of them mentioned CanBus attacks so normal owners assume it is Keyless. 
Other than on these type of forums / websites no media has broadcast or informed about CanBus thefts. Lexus aren’t going to, as that just attracts even more thefts. 

I think it is wrong to suggest that the owner is in any way responsible for a theft because they didn’t have a little known post manufacturing device fitted - that is a small step away from saying insurers shouldn’t pay out if an owner hasn’t taken every single measure to prevent a theft. 

I found out on YouTube and it was actually a Toyota. Then research LED to Lexus vehicles being affected and finally the availability of plates on this forum and got one by emailing Lexus directly.

What you're suggesting is that owners should just buy any car without doing prior research which probably happens a lot but then we also have people who still have cheap barrel locks on their house which snaps with a pair of plyers

• Like 1

On 1/11/2024 at 8:13 PM, rayaans said:

I disagree.

It is in part the owners responsibility as well to understand their vehicle and the risks that come with that particular vehicle especially when there is a (free) solution to the issue, similiar to how they have responsibility of their property security / health etc etc etc. The whole world seems to know about Range Rover thefts and Keyless thefts of various marques for example. 

The problem is that humans are generally stupid and oblivious to their surroundings - it takes very little research to find canbus theft articles on Toyota / Lexus vehicles.

I couldn't agree more.

If people can't be bothered to take an interest in a. Probably their second largest investment and b. their pride and joy then I suppose we must put it down to selective breeding.

Reading some posts on here, I'm amazed some people make it downstairs unaided most mornings.

• Sad 2

On 1/11/2024 at 9:00 PM, wivenhoe said:

Why would a normal owner of a Lexus be aware of a post manufacture fitting of a security measure, other than by a recall

Exactly so, Bob.

As contributors to the LOC, we are not typical Lexus owners.  Most car owners regard their cars as transport, not a hobby.  They may not even be aware where their Lexus stands in the thieving league table.

So I think that you are correct in suggesting that Lexus should regard the development of a security plate to help counter CanBUS attacks as an item worthy of a recall.  Surely Lexus has a duty to inform owners of an upgrade that will improve the security of their products?

Being proactive in this regard can only help to enhance a Dealer’s reputation, after all!  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, LenT said:

Surely Lexus has a duty to inform owners of an upgrade that will improve the security of their products?

From a Lexus perspective informing owners of a necessary security upgrade will only raise awkward questions for them. Normally the dealers like to keep "shtum" so as not to alert potential buyers to a potential issue.

I am amazed at their ( Lexus ) complacency. Only a drop in sales volumes will precipitate a response. They have not got the sense to see a problem coming and take the relevant steps.  Sales look buoyant at the moment amazingly.

2 hours ago, DavidCM said:

I'm amazed some people make it downstairs unaided most mornings

I find that comment a bit silly. Some of us live in bungalows. Not a nice thing to say about some of the less robust Lexus owners; we are not all old and decrepit. If you can take a 400+bhp Lexus V8 through it's paces then I think the stairs would not be an issue.

12 minutes ago, GMB said:

Normally the dealers like to keep "shtum" so as not to alert potential buyers to a potential issue.

I think that argument might be truer of, to cite a current example, the Post Office’s Horizon computer system!

Surely every car owner is aware that potentially it can be stolen.  But not every car owner is aware of how it can be done - or the many and various methods of preventing it. 

So I see this as one instance in which approaching owners to offer a free theft deterrent would be excellent customer relations.  Why Dealers are not doing it is a puzzle.  My business used to be running advertising agencies and this is the kind of marketing advice we would offer clients.

• Like 2

Hello,

There is no simple answer to this.

I was aware of Range Rovers and then other cars being done via the news not on forums..

It maybe an idea to talk to dealers if concerned, or when going for a service, but no blame if people dont or haven't done this. We are all right in our own way!

In terms of protection, no canbus plate, crook lock, ghost system will not protect you if the car is out in a trailer or lifted!

You may be unlucky but Ford Fiesta front bumpers are being taken. Catalytic converters are being ripped off cars, people are being threatened at knife point and forced to hand over keys, the sad news it is all happening in the day!!

Most thieves will steal the car and dump it somewhere for 24 hours to check to see if there is a tracker installed.

Number plate thieves  get round ANPR cameras, so the criminals win here.

So what shpould be done? I go back to my original argument, which is go to the root cause. Stop the cars being shipped abroad. Or try other ways of checking cars beforehand.

I will get off my soapbox now.

• Like 3

We are all different, and have different perspectives in why we buy a Lexus, as has been said some of us are petrol heads, others, just a posh shopping trolley I guess. 
Myself, I love my cars, maintain them regardless, and do keep abreast of the development of all vehicles, even the EV fad, but I ain’t sold on those yet ( I remember when diesel was flavour of the month) , so I do all I can to protect my cars.

That said, there is only so much we can do, mine has several additional security measures on it, and I consider the only way to nick it is on a trailer.

I really wouldn’t waste money on Tracker, all it means is that you can recover your pride and joy from a ditch or a chop shop. It appears we no longer have a police service that gives a damn, so we have to look after our own, and all be left to the mercy of thieves and Insurance companies!

• Like 5

3rd gen are not susceptible. 4th gen are susceptible to canbus theft. 5 th gen’s signals are scrambled so not susceptible to canbus theft. 
I have canbus plates fitted (last summer). 

This information is to the best of my knowledge, please do your own research or ask the dealer if you are concerned. 

Rob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I completely agree with Larryadler. My Mercedes AMG E43 was stolen last February. I had a Scorpion S5 fitted as per insurance requirement. The tracker was active for two days after the car was stolen. The Police DID NOT ATTEND! The tracker company will only inform the police of the car location.

• Sad 2

On 1/11/2024 at 2:03 PM, Lexus450h said:

Sorry to read you’ve discovered what we’ve all known about for over twelve months.
This is exactly the sort of Lexus customer who deserves an official recall.

99% of buyers would never even consider joining a forum for their car, irrespective of manufacturer, unless it’s something exotic and flakey.

This is also the sort of ex-Lexus customer that’ll result in sales figures and values go through the floor. Would you buy another after this? Even if you can insure it?
The solution is there (for RX owner at least - it appears the rest of us can go get stuffed as far as Lexus are concerned) and should be publicised through the dealers.

Lexus - get a grip.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lex loafer said:

3rd gen are not susceptible. 4th gen are susceptible to canbus theft. 5 th gen’s signals are scrambled so not susceptible to canbus theft. 
I have canbus plates fitted (last summer). 

This information is to the best of my knowledge, please do your own research or ask the dealer if you are concerned. 

Rob

No idea how accurate it is, but about a month ago my Lexus service advisor told me current RXs are still hackable. As above do your own research if you’re thinking of investing.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links