Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

New member (NX 300H)

Just bought a used approved NX 300H as an upgrade to my wife's old 2014 RAV4:

Mesa Red

Premium Sport Edition pack + panoramic roof.

Her old RAV4 was very slow, gave terrible MPG and didn't feel too safe in a crosswind. Didn't want her or the little one travelling in it tbf, so got rid and upgraded to this. Bought used approved and have also opted for the 2yr servicing option (love the idea that Lexus give you a years warranty with every service).

Also like the idea of apple CarPlay (our first car to have it) so she can use Waze (RAV4's BT phone connection for calls was atrocious - this one appears much better).

Not a fan of Yokohoma that Lexus appear to recommend so will probably go Bridgestone Alenza when I need to replace them.

Going to use her old dashcam (1080p:30) for the rear (into cigarette lighter) and buy a new 2K:60/4K:30 for the front and wire into fusebox.

Anyway, so far very happy with the car and will probably pop in now and then to annoy everyone with silly Q's 😁

Don’t want to burst your happy car moment… but as you live in the SE, you need to be aware Lexus was the most stolen car brand in 2023 (2% of all Lexus cars on the road were stolen last year!). 

Thieves mainly target the larger RX (1 in 46 of those stolen last year….) but sadly plenty examples on this forum of ES and NX models being targeted and stolen too. Thieves break part of the front bumper off, plug a device into the car’s wiring (“canbus”), and can unlock your car and drive off in about 60 seconds…

https://mag.lexus.co.uk/lexus-uk-statement-on-vehicle-theft/?fbclid=IwAR2u1DC_0mAo4_kSpK_1FLViLNyHJq0nAKctwfXCMxQi1CwuNiGBA10yY0w_aem_ATXzc0mSafM1xX72JZyfSo-7KpoTKXtkPQjmf6ToRhjQ_4GsDaGMH6Nf5ACoFWEW2pE

Lexus finally said something about the issue after watchdog ran a segment on it. Originally they’d promised a “solution” by the end of April - now that timeframe has been deleted from their statement, with no timeframe now given. 

Ahead of whatever solution Lexus are working on, you may want to consider an Autowatch Ghost or similar. 

11 hours ago, Gaffer said:

Going to use her old dashcam (1080p:30) for the rear (into cigarette lighter) and buy a new 2K:60/4K:30 for the front and wire into fusebox.

This may seem sensible in that you’re not wasting your initial investment, but it does mean that your rear camera only works when the ignition is on.  What makes you think that your stationary car is unlikely to be hit in the rear, when the camera’s off, as opposed to the front when the cameras on?  What is more likely when you’ve parked it in a supermarket car park?

Also cameras are motion-sensitive and can be activated by cars/people approaching - thus picking up anyone trying to enter the car.  Paying a little extra for a dual-camera system may seem an extravagance now, but it only has to back up one insurance claim to pay for itself.  And I speak from personal experience!

• Like 1

Thanks for the warm welcome 🙂.

Electronic vehicle theft was also an issue with my 3 series - multiple reports of thefts using a laptop to mimic the key fob and unlock the car (thankfully never happened to me).

I'm hoping Lexus do offer the option to have that protective plate installed at some point - I'm happy to pay a small fee to get it done if they don't offer it as a recall.

On 5/9/2024 at 11:12 PM, Tickedon said:

Ahead of whatever solution Lexus are working on, you may want to consider an Autowatch Ghost or similar. 

I had a look at that website - for £500 you can install an invisible device which allows the thief to damage your front wing/wiring, attempt the hack, get into the car and then find it won't start. They'll obviously then go, leaving you with having to claim through your insurance.

Alternatively, don't spend £500, thief does the same and makes away with your car - leaving you to still deal with your insurance.

Surely you don't want such deterrent's to be "invisible" - I personally would like gigantic window stickers telling them to not waste their time...

On 5/10/2024 at 10:05 AM, LenT said:

This may seem sensible in that you’re not wasting your initial investment, but it does mean that your rear camera only works when the ignition is on.

Not if I hardwire it in which I intend to do at some point (yes it'll be trickier than the front but not impossible). Both cameras can record either via G-sensor or snapshots whilst parked so no worries there 👍 (although I take your point that nothing is guaranteed - I've had friends who've had parking mode enabled and still didn't catch a number plate on camera).

What we need is 360deg cameras on all car's not just Lexus NX's.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links