Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Stronger/Safer Body post June 2017 IS300h (UK)

I am considering buying a IS300h because it has a good balance in terms of size, economy, and comfort for city driving and motorways. 

Although it's 5 star Euroncap rated, I noticed different results in other crash tests. So not so sure about it's safety and which is perhaps the better model year to get. 

Two questions:

1) After IIHS small overlap crash test results in USA in 2017, apparently the car was made stronger post June 2017 (https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/Lexus/is-4-door-sedan/2017). (Note: IS200t was tested. Don't know if IS300h is available there.)

Does anyone know if these changes would just be for USA market or be applied to models for UK too?

2) The IS300h was withdrawn from sale in Australia when new side crash tests were introduced in recent years. Some speculated that it was because it would not do as well. Others said it was just because they were working on newer models. Anyone have any thoughts? (I think it will still be a fairly safe car but just surprised to read this.)

Thanks!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like no one is able to to advise on my questions regarding safety of the IS300h. Regardless, thank you to those of you who took the time to read the post. In general I think the pre-2017 car is still a probably quite a safe car.

7 hours ago, Amu1 said:

Seems like no one is able to to advise on my questions regarding safety of the IS300h. Regardless, thank you to those of you who took the time to read the post. In general I think the pre-2017 car is still a probably quite a safe car.

Other than what we can see from the official tests I wouldn't know how to find out. Facelift (post 2017) cars had some minor changes in various areas but AFAIK it didn't change the Euro NCAP rating. The crash tests evolve continuously and so any older car is inherently less safe (according to those tests) than a newly released car designed to meet those evolving tests.

Thanks Phil. Yes I thought it was worth asking in case someone may have some additional information that they could share. 

But what you've said makes sense. Thanks for your reply. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links