Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Netgear Wireless

rayg

Right then, a question for all you wizz kids! :P

I've got a dell laptop and a PC with a netgear WG311 PC wirless card in. I'm trying to set them up as a ad hoc (peer to peer) conection.

The problem is, is that they see the network but I can't ping either PC and the Netgear keeps connecting a disconnecting every 10 seconds.

Anyone got any ideas on what the problem might be?

Thanks

Right then, a question for all you wizz kids!  :P

I've got a dell laptop and a PC with a netgear WG311 PC wirless card in.  I'm trying to set them up as a ad hoc (peer to peer) conection.

The problem is, is that they see the network but I can't ping either PC and the Netgear keeps connecting a disconnecting every 10 seconds.

Anyone got any ideas on what the problem might be?

Thanks

why are you doing it peer to peer?

using infrastructure mode, which DHCP / DNS set to auto would be a lot easier

If you do need to use adhoc mode (because you have no access point) check that:

- the IP address for each card is either not set (and Windows will assign one for you) or that one is set in the same subnet. This is easier. I'd set one card to be say 10.0.1.2 with a mask of 255.255.255.0, and the other card to be 10.0.1.3 with a mask of 255.255.255.0.

- Turn off the Windows firewall on both machines if you want to be able to connect to them from somewhere else. This is a slight security risk if you're connected to the internet directly at the same time.

..then all should work. Access one machine using the other's ip address:

e.g. to browse machine 1 from machine 2

- Click Start, Run

- Type in \\10.0.1.2

- Press OK

- You may be prompted for a username or password (this is a user on machine 1)

Best

Alistair

I not useing a access point as I don't really need one, as the laptop is going to connect to the internet via the PC and backup the laptops files.

I have given both a static IP and same network but still won't ping.

I think that maybe its a problem with the netgear card as thats the one that keeps dropping the connection.

All firewalls are off, I think I'm going to try a few things tonight and if it doesn;t work take the card back and get a Belkin or something to change.

Thanks

Just an up date I took the card back and got a Linksys one instead and every thing worked fine :)

I tried useing the netgear software aswell as the XP one. Looking round the web that card seems to have a lot of problems with XP and SP2

FYI the card was WG311

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links