Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

White Corrosion On Alloys?

2ddesign

Hi

My Lexus is nearly 4years old and the edges of nearly all the alloys show a white corrosion, see pics.

Is this normal or is due to poor manufacture? I only use soapy water to clean the wheels and some times, I put tyre black on and finally finish with some wax on the alloys. If the white is scrapped it appears that the clear coat comes away as a powder, it may be when new tyres are fitted, that the qunk? they put on the inside of the tyre to help an air tight seal has caused it. :crying:

post-8722-1114006048.jpg

post-8722-1114006070.jpg

Edited by 2ddesign

I don't know about the corrosion becoming a powder, but I do know that I've had similar probs on my 51 plate. Has it bubbled where it has become white, as this is what happened to mine ?

I was told that it was water which got underneath the lacquer and created the white bubbling effect (corrosion).

Maybe the powder is where yours has bubbled, and then burst ??

I got mine refurbished a couple of months ago - had a metallic silver paint put on instead of the norm. They shine up nice in the sun. I rang Lexus and told them I had a couple of "small" questions to ask the wheel refurbishing guy, as I had my wheels refurbished and just wanted to find out about looking after them (which is a lie cos I ain't had the wheels done yet), and asked them if I could have his number - which they then gave me. I then rang the man's mobile and he quoted me £20 less than Lexus did. :D

the white powder you are getting off your alloys is aluminum oxide in other words corrosion and it seems to be a common thing amongst lexuses if you search there are loads of posts on dodgy alloys

Go and bleat about it to the dealer as long as you haven't kerbed them it is a known problem

the white powder you are getting off your alloys is aluminum oxide in other words corrosion and it seems to be a common thing amongst lexuses if you search there are loads of posts on dodgy alloys

Go and bleat about it to the dealer as long as you haven't kerbed them it is a known problem

Thanks guys for your advice I will try my local dealer in Cardiff and see what they say :question:

Hi

An update on going to my dealer in Cardiff, first, they were dubious that I would get anywhere, as I' am passed the 3 yr warranty. They then contacted Lexus GB on my behalf and got back to me with .... can not be done!. :angry:

I then contacted Customer Service Lexus GB and spoke to a helpfull guy called Stephen, after much discussion on "good- will" he agreed to do something. It seems a party of Japanese are over here this week, to find out WHY? there is a problem, as they do not use salt on their roads. I then got a call from Lexus Cardiff saying that I can order some refurbished wheels from Lexus GB.

The "deal".....Lexus GB pay half the cost and I pay the other half plus fitting charges! :blush: Total cost on invoice 5 wheels at £65 each= £325, my cost £162 +VAT=£219. :unsure:

Fitting I have been quoted £58 inc VAT, the original alloys go back to Lexus after.

The alloys come from Pristine Wheel Refurbishers tel: 01908 282628!

I was told that this was a once only deal for me, I think on balance it seems a good result £277.00 :question:

Hi

An update on going to my dealer in Cardiff,  first, they were dubious that I would get anywhere, as I' am passed the 3 yr warranty. They then contacted Lexus GB on my behalf and got back to me with .... can not be done!. :angry: 

I then contacted Customer Service Lexus GB and spoke to a helpfull guy called Stephen, after much discussion on "good- will" he agreed to do something. It seems a party of Japanese are over here this week, to find out WHY? there is a problem, as they do not use salt on their roads. I then got a call from Lexus Cardiff saying that I can order some refurbished wheels from Lexus GB.

The "deal".....Lexus GB pay half the cost and I pay the other half plus fitting charges! :blush:  Total cost on invoice 5 wheels at £65 each= £325, my cost £162 +VAT=£219.  :unsure:

Fitting I have been quoted £58 inc VAT, the original alloys go back to Lexus after.

I was told that this was a once only deal for me, I think on balance it seems a good result £277.00 :question:

Wow. At least you got somewhere with Lexus. They refused to do anything with mine as they were out of the 3yr warranty (by two months).

That doesn't sound too bad. Do you get a new warranty on the wheels as Lexus have sorted them ? When you do get them done, give em a good inspection before driving off, ie. check the seal around the rims more than anything.

Best of luck. :)

Hi

An update on going to my dealer in Cardiff,  first, they were dubious that I would get anywhere, as I' am passed the 3 yr warranty. They then contacted Lexus GB on my behalf and got back to me with .... can not be done!. :angry: 

The "deal".....Lexus GB pay half the cost and I pay the other half plus fitting charges! :blush:  Total cost on invoice 5 wheels at £65 each= £325, my cost £162 +VAT=£219.  :unsure:

Wow. At least you got somewhere with Lexus. They refused to do anything with mine as they were out of the 3yr warranty (by two months).

That doesn't sound too bad. Do you get a new warranty on the wheels as Lexus have sorted them ? When you do get them done, give em a good inspection before driving off, ie. check the seal around the rims more than anything.

Best of luck. :)

No new warranty, just a one of special :excl: , your local dealer should have helped you out? although mine was not that helpfull as I did not buy my car in Cardiff!

But go through them first to start a dialogue going with Lexus GB, as others have said in other threads it is a "KNOWN" problem admitted by customer relations. :whistling:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links