Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Advice For A Newbie

This is my first post and I'd be grateful for your collective advice and guidance, as I'm planning on buying an IS200 SE (Y Reg / 2001) via a private sale. Current mileage is 44K and the 4th service is now due (4 years / 40K miles)

I have looked at the car's service history and receipts, all carried out via a Lexus Dealer. It appears for each of the last 3 services the only costs are for routine maintenance items, ie various fluid / filter changes. Is there anyway I can establish what each of the first 3 services should have covered in terms of service / maintenance items or checklist. A few things have been fixed / addressed under warranty, which I assume ran out at the end of year 3, correct ?

Also any advice on things to watch out for on this particular model before I do the deal...or can I rest assured that I'm buying a quality car and if I have dealer stamps for the first 3 years then I should be fine :)

Thanks in advance...

I think the 3 year service is the big one so if that has been carried out by a Lexus dealer then you should be okay. Personally I'd insist that the 4 year service was carried out by the current owner at their expense before handing over any cash for the car.

As for the car itself, have a good read through the Lexus knowledge base. If it was me I would have a good look at the tread wear on front tires (on full lock) as this is something that caught me out when I bought mine.

I think the 3 year service is the big one so if that has been carried out by a Lexus dealer then you should be okay. Personally I'd insist that the 4 year service was carried out by the current owner at their expense before handing over any cash for the car.

As for the car itself, have a good read through the Lexus knowledge base. If it was me I would have a good look at the tread wear on front tires (on full lock) as this is something that caught me out when I bought mine.

Thanks for the pointers Fmrl, I had agreed with the current owner that they should cover the cost of the the service thats now due.

Regarding your comments about front tyre tread, assuming you're referring to uneven wear (?), what was the actual problem you experienced...was it expensive to rectify?

Is the knowledge base a specific section on this site or general content / feedback across the various posts / forums, eg general maintenance etc?

Major service is every two years....20K/2years, 40k/4 Years :)....40K service will be around £300 - £400, so if you want the current owner to do this service i would expect an increase in sale price

Hi .. Check the following. Make sure there is no klunky gear change between 1st and 2nd gear.

Make sure the throttle doesn't get stuck down when you floor it. Has happened to me and is pretty interesting when it happens.

Make sure you don't mind that the boot is really small and it is pretty slow off the mark (when its going its ok but you have to gun it to make it shift.)

Anyhow if you do buy it, hope its a trouble free one.. Good luck.

Is the price very different from one on a dealer forecourt? Cos they come with 1 years warranty I think so might be worth paying a little extra for the peace of mind ;)

Regarding your comments about front tyre tread, assuming you're referring to uneven wear (?), what was the actual problem you experienced...was it expensive to rectify?

I had a suspension problem on mine so the tires looked fine if the wheels were straight, if you put them on full lock then you'd see that the tires were becoming worn on the inside edge - I think this has been discussed at length on the forum before.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links