Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

6 Speaker System Or 8?

Hi peep's.

Im kinda confused at the mo as to weather i have a 6 speaker system or a 8? I have an 1999 is200se (so the log book says). My head unit is the bottom cd one with 1 white connector on the back. Now, i read on another post that the 8 speaker system has 2 sets of terminals on each rear speaker, mine only has one. Is there a sure fire way of finding out? If i look behind the glove box for an amp, where about's will it be? And what will it look like? I dont suppose it will be marked up in big yellow letters saying AMP.....! That would be to easy! lol... :) Can anyone help please?

King Regards

Craig.

Hi Mate

The SE has 8 speakers & an amp, although the 8 speakers consist of subs & mid/high's within the rear 6x9's & the highs & mids in the front doors, so in therory you have 6 speakers..... Make sense :duh:

The amp is located behind the glove box, if you take the glove box out, you will see a silver/grey box with heat fins down the side... That be your amp.

The S model has a 6 speaker system with no amp.

Cheers.

Stuart

Cheers for the reply mate. Just one more question, how does the amp come out? is it bolted in or just clip's in? I've got a new Alpine head unit you cee and want to take the old amp out to fit my new unit! I take it i'm gonna have to change my rear speakers too then? :duh:

Cheers

Craig

i think its 2 or 3 10mm bolts that holds the oem amp in place. why do u wanna take it out? to save weight!?

If you are taking the old amp out.. Yes you will have to change your rears speakers.

Dont think you can wire a new head unit into the existing loom or whether it just isnt worth it...

But you really dont need to remove the amp, it dos'nt whey much & if you want to put everything back as standard when you come to sell it, its one less thing to worry about.

Stuart

Ok, I'm confused now :duh:

What exactly are you trying to achieve???

You cant replace the amp & keep the original head unit as the amp controls the head unit or something...

If you are replacing the head unit, you may as well take power from there, as it is already there, then run either new speaker cable from your new head unit to existing speakers with passive cross overs to the fronts & replace the rear 6x9's. Alternatively, run RCA's from new head unit to a new amp in the boot or wherever, ect.

Stuart

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links