Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi Folks

Right, I'll get straight to it then...

Been looking at E Class Merc's again, had a straight 6 couple of years ago and loved it.

I've a few Toyota's (GT4) and thought I'd look at the Lexus comparison.

Never paid that much attention to them before although I know they are solid and reliable, many LS400's from early to mid 90's seem capable of over 200K miles..

So I'm thinking about driving another big heavy barge for the next couple of years after toying about in four pot turbo malarkee.. sort of had my 'bigger' car situation sorted with a Mitsi Space wagon but oh my - what a mistake this has turned out to be. from a point of view of doing what it says on the tin the space wagon is a practical hack - but you feel like a turd driving one.

So I'm looking for a 94 onwards LS400 with up to about 130K on the clock, full service history and in good nick with near on perfect bodywork (no dings or scrapes), full gismos and leather - I guess this shouldnt be too hard to find.

How much should I be looking to spend and what should I be looking for that will require replacing - best to get one with the stuff done I fathom. a check list would be cool.

If there is a check list on the site a link would be appreciated.

Now - questions about the V8 - the engine seems moderately powered for a 8 cylinder which I guess leads to the reason why they tend to go on forever... from the cockpit do they 'sound' like a V8? are the brakes and overall handling good for a bit of spirited driving or is the car a cruiser and that's about it? the merc was fun for a bit of welly now and again and i would hope the LS is just as eager.

I would be looking to keep the car totally standard, but if there are any minor modifications that make it a wee tad better what would they be? (I assume this part gets no reply as the car should be bullet proof)

Last - Fuel/oil consumption and Insurance group?

ok. nuff for now - cheers

First of all, you can't compare E class Mercs with LS400s, totally different cars. Better to compare with S class Merc.

The LS400 does not sound like it has an engine at all, it's SILENT. Brakes are good, but not on cars made before August 1993. The car is a world class cruiser, but do not even consider one if you want to fling it round corners. The suspension is not set up for that, and you will end up with premature wear on the suspension components. If you want a big car that's set up for the driver, get a 7 series.

Dude, if you have to ask about fuel consumption, you should stick to small engined cars. The more recent the model, the more efficient the engine. Compared to Merc and BMW V8s, it's more economical. Expect 15-30mpg from the models you are considering. 15mpg in town, up to 30mph at 70mph with cruise control set.

HTH.

Hi Folks

Right, I'll get straight to it then...

Been looking at E Class Merc's again, had a straight 6 couple of years ago and loved it.

I've a few Toyota's (GT4) and thought I'd look at the Lexus comparison.

Never paid that much attention to them before although I know they are solid and reliable, many LS400's from early to mid 90's seem capable of over 200K miles..

So I'm thinking about driving another big heavy barge for the next couple of years after toying about in four pot turbo malarkee.. sort of had my 'bigger' car situation sorted with a Mitsi Space wagon but oh my - what a mistake this has turned out to be. from a point of view of doing what it says on the tin the space wagon is a practical hack - but you feel like a turd driving one.

So I'm looking for a 94 onwards LS400 with up to about 130K on the clock, full service history and in good nick with near on perfect bodywork (no dings or scrapes), full gismos and leather - I guess this shouldnt be too hard to find.

How much should I be looking to spend  and what should I be looking for that will require replacing - best to get one with the stuff done I fathom. a check list would be cool.

If there is a check list on the site a link would be appreciated.

Now - questions about the V8 - the engine seems moderately powered for a 8 cylinder which I guess leads to the reason why they tend to go on forever... from the cockpit do they 'sound' like a V8? are the brakes and overall handling good for a bit of spirited driving or is the car a cruiser and that's about it? the merc was fun for a bit of welly now and again and i would hope the LS is just as eager.

I would be looking to keep the car totally standard, but if there are any minor modifications that make it a wee tad better what would they be? (I assume this part gets no reply as the car should be bullet proof)

Last - Fuel/oil consumption and Insurance group?

ok. nuff for now - cheers

Had mine since 2001, paid way over then with 83k on the clock (didnt know about this site), but know better now! Luckily I got a goodun!

Oil - change it every 10k (others say 6K - your choice).

Doesnt sound like anything at all, its just.....quiet!

Petrol - 20/21 around town 25-30 at motorway speeds - depends on driving style.

Now mines done 157k, sails thru MOT every year.

Plipper no longer works - I HAVE to insert the key - bugga.

Just replacing ignition barrel (£91 incl rebuild to my key).

Replaced HT cables a while ago and cleaned inlet, no hardship, runs better.

Just put 4 new tyres on - got 30k out of the last set - Vredesteins.

brake pads last for ever, discs could maybe do with a change soon, and its coming up for a transfluid change.

I service it on a rolling basis, ie I dont wait for mileage to come round, I just keep it maintained, takes almost no effort as I very rarely have to do anything!

If the above seems excessive, think about what you would have to have replaced on a Mondeo / Cavalier / Jag etc at this age (engine/gearbox/suspension etc)

Dude, if you have to ask about fuel consumption, you should stick to small engined cars.

So anyone interested in fuel consumption can't afford one then?

Maybe I had better stick to my 'small engined' GTfour that drinks 15-20mpg on an average run :whistling: ;)

So it's reasonable to say the LS is sedate then? has power as a cruiser but is otherwise a ditherer about town.... thats what I want - a nice quiet comfy luxury ride. I've had enough of screaming around like a banshee.

Dave - seems you got a good one mate. from everything i've browsed they seem pretty bomb proof.

OK, few other Q's

LPG? are the kits any good - does the engine like lpg? does the performance suffer?

(Petrol) Fuel tank capacity? its about 85 litres right? so that should see a motorway run of about 250miles before a refill?

Are there any special editions with extra's or is it a standard car with factory options? any goodies to look out for?

Leather - how does it age? are the seats heated?

cheers

Dude, if you have to ask about fuel consumption, you should stick to small engined cars.

So anyone interested in fuel consumption can't afford one then?

Maybe I had better stick to my 'small engined' GTfour that drinks 15-20mpg on an average run :whistling: ;)

So it's reasonable to say the LS is sedate then? has power as a cruiser but is otherwise a ditherer about town.... thats what I want - a nice quiet comfy luxury ride. I've had enough of screaming around like a banshee.

Dave - seems you got a good one mate. from everything i've browsed they seem pretty bomb proof.

OK, few other Q's

LPG? are the kits any good - does the engine like lpg? does the performance suffer?

(Petrol) Fuel tank capacity? its about 85 litres right? so that should see a motorway run of about 250miles before a refill?

Are there any special editions with extra's or is it a standard car with factory options? any goodies to look out for?

Leather - how does it age? are the seats heated?

cheers

250 motorway miles? i have had 400 + in mine

Hey, if you manage to get the LS400 made after 1998, you'll probably get better economy than your GTFour! ;-)

I wouldn't describe the LS as sedate, in a straight line, it's quite rapid, again the newer models are better in every respect. You really notice the V8 advantage at very high speeds (in Germany for example!). You can drive for 10 hours up to Scotland from London and it makes the journey effortless. Actually, town is where it's good too, you can just waft around and relax in the armchair seats!

I'd avoid LPG on these engines. I've heard of problems with LPG kits.

I had a 100k+ miles LS400 that managed 32 mpg on cruise control at 70mph, so in theory, 500+ mile range on motorway is possible.

The wonderful thing about the LS400 is the lack of options. Everything is pretty much standard. Again, the newer the model, the more kit, more powerful engine etc.

Leather seats age better than the BMW leather seats. From August 1993, they come with heated seats all round.

Cubic - last thing you can say is a'ditherer' around town. Yes it does induce sedate driving because of its size and the fact that everyone ignores you as it looks like an 'old mans car', BUT, when required it will beat a very quick line to the horizon.

After all, when new it was only just over 7 secs to 60 and is probably not much more now, but its getting on in years and I dont like to subject it to such coarseness!!!!!

But every day when I leave work I have to turn right uphill onto a quite fast single carriageway road - so it gets a workout then!

Get one - you wont regret it!

GS is a different bag o beans - your analogy is probably correct.

Its 3ltr (or 4.3 later models) not 4, smaller (slightly), not much better on fuel I've heard, not my taste in shape I must admit esp the older ones, but ya likes what ya likes!

Rangey as you say off road - on, its pants. I had a Disco a while back - a real bag o sh**

is the GS a bigger car?

is the GS the E class equivalent and the LS the S class eqv'lnt?

hmmm.. showed the wife some pics of the LS and its a toss up with a Range Rover which she loves (horrid big ugly slow road things - off road a different matter)

dude,

IS200/300 models compete with BMW 3 series (very sporty to drive)

GS300/430 models compete with BMW 5 series (good cruisers but still a bit sporty)

LS400/430 models compete with BMW 7 series (supreme cruisers with all the goodies, but you can't throw them corners around like the IS or GS models)

Why not test drive each type of car and see how they suit you? All models come with typical Lexus refinement and comfort that other cars just don't have.

Hope that helps.

cheers chaps :D u guys are a friendly and helpful bunch :driving: isnt this club linked to TOC? I'm a gold member there.....

well i'll stay in touch and see what I find - I can't stand to drive the Mitsi Space Wagon family hack any longer - its an abortion of a car. Its gotten to a stage where the wife and I fight over who drives the space wagon and who drives my Van :lol:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links