Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help Needed With Replacement Of Camber

Had my car serviced and MOT'd with no problems.

As the bill did not break the bank I thought I would sort out the siezed bushes on my front lower suspension arms. Normally this would involve just replacing the bolts and sleeves.

Seems mine have siezed solid and I am told that I need to replace the whole suspension arm at the princely sum of £250/side and that's just the parts!!.

Have any of you Mk1 GS owners had this problem?

Can any one offer any advice on alternative solutions.

I can leave it as it is and just keep replacing the front tyres, but I would rather get it sorted!

Had my car serviced and MOT'd with no problems.

As the bill did not break the bank I thought I would sort out the siezed bushes on my front lower suspension arms. Normally this would involve just replacing the bolts and sleeves.

Seems mine have siezed solid and I am told that I need to replace the whole suspension arm at the princely sum of £250/side and that's just the parts!!.

Have any of you Mk1 GS owners had this problem?

Can any one offer any advice on alternative solutions.

I can leave it as it is and just keep replacing the front tyres, but I would rather get it sorted!

I am really sorry to read this Keith £250 is a heavy investment! I have found most GS/LS owners have a similar problem :ohmy: reason for this is 'Historically' the car doe's not have a geometry set-up problem so the adjuster bolts rarely get moved and seize, the MOT pass is genuine there is no play in the bush, but for geom correction there also is no movement avalible.

In addition through my 100yrs in the industry i learned this.. to replace a 'bush' there is a 'time to profit ratio' :huh: it's easier and more profitable to replace the whole arm £250 plus labour rather than just replace the bush £25 plus labour :ohmy:

Why no contact Pro-Lex and see if the bush is available as an independent part? if it is then the shop are talking (dogs danglies)

Not all bushes on control arms can be replaced, due to the nature of construction of the arm. So, it may be genuine that the actual arm needs replacing. Look through my posts on suspension in the LS400 section. I had to replace my control arms (which were close to 400 quid each here), but I ordered them from the USA at a cost closer to 175 each, including all customs duties. These cars are heavy and the suspensions usually need some kind of overhaul after 100k miles to restore them to factory spec.

No worries Tony, I would rather get the job done properly than keep shelling out £300 every year or so for new tyres.

I am going to get a second opinion from a guy who reckons it should be possible to remove the bolts without damaging the arms and the bush.

Maneesh, thanks for the tip regarding sourcing from the States. I have a contact over there who I am sure would assist if I can get the right part number. Can you recall who you got yours from?

Thanks guys

No worries Tony, I would rather get the job done properly than keep shelling out £300 every year or so for new tyres.

I am going to get a second opinion from a guy who reckons it should be possible to remove the bolts without damaging the arms and the bush.

Maneesh, thanks for the tip regarding sourcing from the States. I have a contact over there who I am sure would assist if I can get the right part number. Can you recall who you got yours from?

Thanks guys

No worries.. it's sad we have to live in a 'Disposable' world... but that's not the law! £250 each side is 'Pants'even by today's throw away standard.

'Taken from the book of (Bones)'

version 1 (never give up)

other versions avalible on request....

Well went for a second opinion today.

Met a couple of Toyota/Lexus fanatics, had a look at a V8 Soarer......what a nice motor!!

Anyway back to the point. - the camber adjutment bolts appear now not to be seized as I witnessed the wheel camber being adjusted. I suspect the buckets of releasing fluid that my mechanic had used has probably freed the bolts

I am now totally confused!.

The advice I have is that there is no real need to replace the bolts. But it was pointed out that the lower rear arm suspension bushes are buggered and need replacing as bushes are not replaceable.

So if any of you MK1 GS owners hear a clunk when breaking and turning your lower rear front arm suspension bushes are probably gone, I thought it was brake pad noise as the pads wore.

Good news is that I should be able to get both sides done for half the cost I was expecting for replacing the top suspension arms.

Even better news is that whilst they have my car I might get the loan of a Mk2 V300!!

Can't wait!!

So Tony I will let you know when this work is done so we can book me an appointment for you to have a look at adjusting the front camber etc for me again.

Well went for a second opinion today.

Met a couple of Toyota/Lexus fanatics, had a look at a V8 Soarer......what a nice motor!!

Anyway back to the point. - the camber adjutment bolts appear now not to be seized as I witnessed the wheel camber being adjusted. I suspect the buckets of releasing fluid that my mechanic had used has probably freed the bolts

I am now totally confused!.

The advice I have is that there is no real need to replace the bolts. But it was pointed out that the lower rear arm suspension bushes are buggered and need replacing as bushes are not replaceable.

So if any of you MK1 GS owners hear a clunk when breaking and turning your lower rear front arm suspension bushes are probably gone, I thought it was brake pad noise as the pads wore.

Good news is that I should be able to get both sides done for half the cost I was expecting for replacing the top suspension arms.

Even better news is that whilst they have my car I might get the loan of a Mk2 V300!!

Can't wait!!

So Tony I will let you know when this work is done so we can book me an appointment for you to have a look at adjusting the front camber etc for me again.

I did spray WD40 on all the bushes :D but... good news indeed!...let me know.

Thanks guys

Darryl at Sewell Lexus will sort you out with decent parts.

Thanks guys

Darryl at Sewell Lexus will sort you out with decent parts.

Thanks maneesh

Have already got quote after seeing your earlier thread.

Seems a bit pricey albeit without LOC discount. I have found a UK supplier who says he can better Sewell Lexus price sourced in UK.

Wow, what's the UK supplier's name? I'm sure others would want to use them!

I am just waiting for a quote.

Will post again when I hear back from them.

Got my quote for replacing lower front rear suspension arms due to deterioration of bushes.

Cost is £160/side fitted using UK sourced new parts. This is the equivalent of a 'bogof ' offer compared to Lexus prices!!!

Got my quote for replacing lower front rear suspension arms due to deterioration of bushes.

Cost is £160/side fitted using UK sourced new parts. This is the equivalent of a 'bogof ' offer compared to Lexus prices!!!

Is that he complete lower unit?.... reason i ask is the problem area is the 'front lower arm camber adjuster bush' held within the lower wishbone.

Is that he complete lower unit?.... reason i ask is the problem area is the 'front lower arm camber adjuster bush' held within the lower wishbone.

I think it is just the rear lower arm??

The bolts you tried to shift Tony appear to be free.

I have had some much advice and info over the past couple of days I am beginning to get confused.

Wish I could see the relevant components and try to understand what bits do what.

Anyone got a pic of front suspension for Mk1 GS?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links