Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sat Nav System

Just become the proud owner of an 05 IS200SE Auto.

The Sat Nav system is not an up-to-date version as a year old by-pass which I use is not included.

How often are updates issued and is it more cost effective to purchase and replace myself than have it done by a Dealer - and is it a simple job?

The Sat Nav system is not an up-to-date version as a year old by-pass which I use is not included.

How often are updates issued and is it more cost effective to purchase and replace myself than have it done by a Dealer - and is it a simple job?

I am in Australia and have been researching this issue over the last day or so myself. In my set of books that came with the IS250 was a SatNav manual. It describes the upgrade process in detail (how to remove the existing DVD and replace it). They also suggest you let a Lexus dealer do it. In the book it told me who made the Satnav system (DENSO) and who's maps they use for Australia (Sensis). That allowed me to check to see if there was a new mapping DVD from Sensis (there isn't) and it also has pricing. I will be asking when I take the car in next week if they do the upgrade or if I buy it, will they do it for me. Hope that helps.

I am in Australia and have been researching this issue over the last day or so myself.  In my set of books that came with the IS250 was a SatNav manual.  It describes the upgrade process in detail (how to remove the existing DVD and replace it).  They also suggest you let a Lexus dealer do it.  In the book it told me who made the Satnav system (DENSO) and who's maps they use for Australia (Sensis).  That allowed me to check to see if there was a new mapping DVD from Sensis (there isn't) and it also has pricing.  I will be asking when I take the car in next week if they do the upgrade or if I buy it, will they do it for me.  Hope that helps.

Before paying for a new DVD, it is worth checking if the road is actually on the DVD, but the routing software is not choosing it. I currently have a hand-held GPS and it persistently refuses to take me on a section of tollway that would get me home quickly from the city. However if I drive onto it, the GPS instantly recognises the road, although it won't route me on it.

I will be interested to see if the GPS in the IS250 does the same or is hopefully much smarter.

To replace the DVD is very simple. In the boot is a DVD unit with a plate that covers the eject button and DVD slot. Remove the plate with a socket set and with the ignition on, slide the plastic cover that's over the slot and press the black eject button. The old DVD will eject. Push the new DVD into the slot and it will load. Turn off the ignition. Slide back the slot cover and then replace the plate. Turn the ignition back on and the satnav will initialise and you are back in business.

The DVDs from Lexus are expensive - keep your eye on eBay. There is no sure way of establishing whether the new roads are on the new version. I bought a 2004/05 DVD for my IS300 and the M6 Toll wasn't even on it so luck of the draw I'm afraid.

To replace the DVD is very simple.  In the boot is a DVD unit with a plate that covers the eject button and DVD slot.  Remove the plate with a socket set and with the ignition on, slide the plastic cover that's over the slot and press the black eject button.  The old DVD will eject.  Push the new DVD into the slot and it will load.  Turn off the ignition.  Slide back the slot cover and then replace the plate.  Turn the ignition back on and the satnav will initialise and you are back in business.

The DVDs from Lexus are expensive - keep your eye on Ebay.  There is no sure way of establishing whether the new roads are on the new version.  I bought a 2004/05 DVD for my IS300 and the M6 Toll wasn't even on it so luck of the draw I'm afraid.

Crystal clear Andy - many thanks. My current version is 2004/5 so I guess I'll wait awhile.

Albert

I am in Australia and have been researching this issue over the last day or so myself.  In my set of books that came with the IS250 was a SatNav manual.  It describes the upgrade process in detail (how to remove the existing DVD and replace it).  They also suggest you let a Lexus dealer do it.  In the book it told me who made the Satnav system (DENSO) and who's maps they use for Australia (Sensis).  That allowed me to check to see if there was a new mapping DVD from Sensis (there isn't) and it also has pricing.  I will be asking when I take the car in next week if they do the upgrade or if I buy it, will they do it for me.  Hope that helps.

Before paying for a new DVD, it is worth checking if the road is actually on the DVD, but the routing software is not choosing it. I currently have a hand-held GPS and it persistently refuses to take me on a section of tollway that would get me home quickly from the city. However if I drive onto it, the GPS instantly recognises the road, although it won't route me on it.

I will be interested to see if the GPS in the IS250 does the same or is hopefully much smarter.

Thanks Tony, your tips are appreciated. The new road is not on the DVD, but the tracking arrow faithfully follows it's route across open fields!

Albert

One word of warning, the new disc may include system upgrades as well as new map information. This means you could screw up the computer if you tried re-installing the old disc again.

oldun :mat:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links