Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help My Tyres Keep Warping

I have a 4 year old Lexus IS200 Sport and last month took it to the garage because it was pulling all over the place and on closer inspection I noticed the front left tyre was all bent out of shape. After putting the new tyre on the car returned to it's glorious state of perfect driving!

A month later and the brand new tyre I paid £120 for has done the exact same thing and the car is back to pulling all over the place.

Does anybody have any ideas why this would happen as I am completely stumped by it?!!!

Neil :crybaby:

Maybe the rim is knackered? but then surely the tyre fitter would have noticed that ........... :yawn:

Yeah that was what I thought it could be, but surely the tyre fitter would have told me?

It isn't the tracking or alignment, had both done and that hasn't sorted it?

Can't really get a pic of it as looking at them they look fine but when you jack it up and spin the wheel you can see there are lumps in the tyre as it goes round. I.e. it doesn't stay comletely flat on the top of the tyre when span (does that make sense?)

So what do you think I should do people, take it to another tyre place and get them to take the tyre off and see if the rim is bent or broken, what should I be looking for???

NEIL

Have you tried swapping one of the wheels around ?

If it happens to a previously good wheel it isn't the rim...help narrow down your search...gonna get expensive if it keeps happening

Yeah thats probably a good idea actually, soon as it stops snowing I think I might get out there and swap them round see if it churns up the one off the right wheel or if it starts making the same wheel worst on the other side eh! Cheers for the idea mate!

Maybe the rim is knackered? but then surely the tyre fitter would have noticed that ........... :yawn:

when you jack it up and spin the wheel you can see there are lumps in the tyre as it goes round. I.e. it doesn't stay comletely flat on the top of the tyre when span (does that make sense?)

NEIL

Does the line of the actual wheel remain the same as you rotate the wheel, or it is JUST the tyre that deviates in size. If it's both.. then it's the rim thats bent. I saw that on a VW golf on that 'Garage' program on the Discovery channel :blush:

Discovery Channel eh :whistling:

That great help though guys, it sounds like the Rim is knackered, I'll swap em over tommorow and see if the car churns the right one up when put on that side and if it don't it's time to start searching Ebay for people selling one Alloy eh haha

If the rim was the problem wouldn't have disappeared after the tyre was replaced, a distorted tyre can take two forms 'S' or oval in shape..... both are internal failure... the new tyre you should request is sent back to the manufacturer for inspection, this costs you nothing.

The reason for the distorted tyres may have been simple 'chance'.

Just seemed a bit strange that the same thing happened to the same wheel twice??

I thought that if the alloy was bent or broken under the tyre maybe it was slowly distorting the tyre over it as it was perfect when I drove it away from the garage but has gradually got worst ever since?

Neil

Just seemed a bit strange that the same thing happened to the same wheel twice??

I thought that if the alloy was bent or broken under the tyre maybe it was slowly distorting the tyre over it as it was perfect when I drove it away from the garage but has gradually got worst ever since?

Neil

Indeed strange but not unheard of...

How many miles was it before the new tyre distorted, and what make was it?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links