Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Dealers

MartinC

Been about 3 weeks since I PX'd my IS200 for the new car.

Locally main dealers were offering around £14,500 for a car that was only 10 months old......Nice! and I've just seen it advertised in approved used cars for £18,500 so those greedy :tsktsk: want so see £4k in a car.

Now I know you're never gonna make money changing cars so often, but didn't expect to get that screwed :blink:

the trade in price is about right for Glasses guide, but the retail is about £2k too much according to the same guide, its all very well protecting the used car prices, but at the end of the day, come trade in time, you're gonna get screwed !!

Been about 3 weeks since I PX'd my IS200 for the new car.

Locally main dealers were offering around £14,500 for a car that was only 10 months old......Nice! and I've just seen it advertised in approved used cars for £18,500 so those greedy :tsktsk: want so see £4k in a car.

Now I know you're never gonna make money changing cars so often, but didn't expect to get that screwed :blink:

the trade in price is about right for Glasses guide, but the retail is about £2k too much according to the same guide, its all very well protecting the used car prices, but at the end of the day, come trade in time, you're gonna get screwed !!

I do sympathise with you and agree about the £4K markup being pretty stiff. But this is only for the naive. All prestige car dealers do the same. As you are aware of the difference in Glass's then if you wanted to buy that car from the dealer you would negotiate a price which left you both happy (or walk away). Main dealers need at least a £2k margin or they would be out of business but £4K is just a tester usually. Glass's retail guide price is just that, a guide, and it applies to small businesses as well as very large ones. A small reputable garage may well be happy to turn a grand on a car even though they will generally ask a very full price to start with.

I do realise the guides are just a ballpark, but you try getting a dealer to bid over the phone much above book, I was even with the salesman while he phoned 3 dealers, and the most above book they would go was about 200 quid. In the end we negotiated to a touch under £15k and that was it, it was walk away or do the deal.

The new car had £3k off list so sweetened the deal up a bit, otherwise I would have just kept the Lex.

I'm not the only one whos been annoyed with the main dealer PX, infact pretty much everyone thats posted on this site about trading in their car has been shocked by the low amount they offer compared to the retail.

They're just bloody greedy!

I would have liked to sold private, but the car I wanted the right colour at a very good price, and Cupra R's were dissapearing off the forcourt at about 1 every 2 days :blink: at that daeler, so didn't have time faff about

was this a lexus dealer ?

things to remember are that a dealer needs to be able to make some profit

someone has to pay for those nice showrooms, the staff, the free coffee, and keyrings !

the car you exchanged comes as seen

the same car when sold will have a guarantee, be subject to tradeing laws and will need to have been cleaned prepared and made ready for a sale

the dealer has to justify putting a secondhand car on his forecourt which may possibly make a reasonable profit, but also restricts his sales of new cars

the price may well be artificially high to intice people to spend a bit more and buy a new one as well

;)

Yep totally understand all of the above Bazza :) we all have to eat, they're there to make money, but I've never, in the 16 cars that I've owned come across such a greedy bunch....thats my point. You've got a point about the nice show rooms and bottled water etc, guess every time we get bent over, we're footing the bill

I know this seems like a rant, well thats exactly what it is :winky:

Yep totally understand all of the above Bazza :) we all have to eat, they're there to make money, but I've never, in the 16 cars that I've owned come across such a greedy bunch....thats my point. You've got a point about the nice show rooms and bottled water etc, guess every time we get bent over, we're footing the bill

I know this seems like a rant, well thats exactly what it is :winky:

I know its harsh but I don't think its just Lexus. We had a 1.4 Leon a few years ago, bought for around £9k. Didn't need it after a year so asked the dealer how much they would buy it back for, and they offered £4k for it! It was a car that dealers were selling for £8k on forecourts, and one that we eventually sold for £7k privately. Obviously it wasn't a p/ex but they would've still made a profit on it, if they're not interested they can just say so rather than make such a ridiculous offer. :angry:

It seems to vary, when my dad recently replaced his merc, we ended up getting double on the p/ex at Mercedes than what was offered at Lexus, so you never know what's going to happen. If you had bought a different car that hadn't had its price cut down, you may have got a much better p/ex price, but at the end of the day, the price you pay will be the same on average.....

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links