Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Clutch Judder

marshy

• 4 weeks later...

This has been an IS200/Altezza problem since they were first released, and the usual solution seems to be change the clutch and flywheel. As far as I know the flywheel is a dual mass unit, and the clutch plate is rigid. (with no springs). It also explains the massive weight of 31lbs compared to say 13lbs for a lightened ordinary flywheel.

Dual mass means that the flywheel has two components, one mounted on the crank and one on the pressure plate/gearbox, and between them are springs of some sort to take up the torque spikes. This puts the trouble on the flywheel, rather than on the clutch plate as in the old clutches.

My Altezza has been shuddery when cold ever since I bought it, and it is smooth and fine when warmed up. The clutch tech I was talking to today thought it may be in the system used to take up the shock.

Does anyone know how Toyota do this? Springs in the flywheel, or silicon buffers??

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links