Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rds-tmc Reception In Continental Europe?

Anyone have experience of using the RDS-TMC traffic system on their car abroad? Mine is fully functional in the UK, detects when I pass into a new country and the RDS-TMC option is set to automatically select the country and the station. It just always comes up with 'no reception' when abroad..... I have seen that some countries have free info and some charge but I have gone through France, Germany, Austria and Italy with no joy...any ideas?

Anyone have experience of using the RDS-TMC traffic system on their car abroad? Mine is fully functional in the UK, detects when I pass into a new country and the RDS-TMC option is set to automatically select the country and the station. It just always comes up with 'no reception' when abroad..... I have seen that some countries have free info and some charge but I have gone through France, Germany, Austria and Italy with no joy...any ideas?

Just an idea - but don't you have to do a "seek" for traffic info frequencies when you get into the new country? Once you've done that and it has established what stations have the carrier signal you then (like here) have to have the radio tuned to one of those stations even if you are not using it and are using the CD instead. For example - here Classic FM doesn't have a carrier signal so if you leave your radio tuned to that station you get no traffic info - all the BBC stations do carry it - so if you leave it tuned to radio 4 you get it - surely the same must apply in France etc - it will only be if you have it tuned to a station that carries the signal that you will get it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I have a RDS-TMC unit in my car, combined with a satnav computer from Kenwood.

I live in the Netherlands and I have reception of TMC in almost whole of the Netherlands.

In France I have it as well, but not everywhere. The system knew about the traffic jams round Paris.

In Belgium there is some TMC info, but not that much. Maybe I'm picking up French or Dutch signals while passing through Belgium.

I've seen it work in Germany as well.

Mine is set to 'auto' as well.

Hope this helps. BTW: I don't have DAB. I understand it is very common in the UK to have a DAB receiver, but on the continent it's not that popular yet.

Regards,

Sander

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links