Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is250 Windscreen Deicer & Radio Reception

Colm

Two quick questions.

First, in the current brochure (at least here in Ireland) Lexus features include something along the lines of "Windshield de-icer". I don't have the brochure to hand, so don't have the exact wording.

I assumed that this was the heated wipers.......meaning that the wipers get heated up, and then melt the ice on the windscreen. I see it is described rather differently in the manual, saying that the, windscreen located, heating pads are simply to stop the wiper blades freezing on to the windscreen.

So we had a light frost the other night, and I got to try out the heated wiper blades that morning. The ice on the windscreen was pretty light. The heating of the windscreen wipers didn't seem to make any difference whatsoever. After a few minutes, I revered, and simply turned the heater to the windscreen, and it cleared it in less than a minute (so was very light).

Now my question is does the heated wipers make any difference on other IS250's? At least then I'll know if mine aren't working right, or if they are simply useless :blush:

Second question relates to radio reception.

The reception on my radio often becomes crackly when I'm in an area that should be well covered by the transmission. In my previous Toyota, I'd no problem in these areas (I know because it's on the route I drive to work/home again each day, and never had a problem before). I'm wondering is this simply a product of the antenna being built into the rear windscreen rather than a normal rooftop antenna, or is there something wrong?

Has anyone else noticed a lower quality radio reception?

(AF & REG are both turned on, so it's not as if there is a better frequency available.)

Colm

Two quick questions.

First, in the current brochure (at least here in Ireland) Lexus features include something along the lines of "Windshield de-icer". I don't have the brochure to hand, so don't have the exact wording.

I assumed that this was the heated wipers.......meaning that the wipers get heated up, and then melt the ice on the windscreen. I see it is described rather differently in the manual, saying that the, windscreen located, heating pads are simply to stop the wiper blades freezing on to the windscreen.

So we had a light frost the other night, and I got to try out the heated wiper blades that morning. The ice on the windscreen was pretty light. The heating of the windscreen wipers didn't seem to make any difference whatsoever. After a few minutes, I revered, and simply turned the heater to the windscreen, and it cleared it in less than a minute (so was very light).

Now my question is does the heated wipers make any difference on other IS250's? At least then I'll know if mine aren't working right, or if they are simply useless :blush:

The reception on my radio often becomes crackly when I'm in an area that should be well covered by the transmission. In my previous Toyota, I'd no problem in these areas (I know because it's on the route I drive to work/home again each day, and never had a problem before). I'm wondering is this simply a product of the antenna being built into the rear windscreen rather than a normal rooftop antenna, or is there something wrong?

(AF & REG are both turned on, so it's not as if there is a better frequency available.)

Colm

Regarding the heated screen, did you have it switched on? Just ask because unlike the IS200 the heated door mirrors and screen are switched.

Hi Tango,

Yes, it was turned on. A little light on the switch confirms it's turned on, and it only stays on for 15 minutes.

Colm

Better have a word with your Stealership then, 'cos mine gets warm to the touch when it's on and the ice clears very quickly.

Two quick questions.

Colm

That switch heats the edge of the screen, not the wipers. If you look closely at the bottom of the front screen, in the black area you can see the element. It is there to melt the ice so that you can then use the wipers. It does not heat the blades directly, only transfers the heat from the bottom of the creen to anything that is touching it.

as for your radio reception, is it worse if you, for example depress the heated rear window switch, or is it generally poor? I don't think the radios are great in weak signal areas anyway but I had a fault with mine that when I depressed the aforementioned switch the radio turned to static, if you know what I mean. Mine was a fautly rear screen, had to have the whole thing replaced!!

Hope this helps?

That switch heats the edge of the screen, not the wipers. If you look closely at the bottom of the front screen, in the black area you can see the element. It is there to melt the ice so that you can then use the wipers. It does not heat the blades directly, only transfers the heat from the bottom of the creen to anything that is touching it.

Buzz,

So is it the case in your IS the same as mine.....this 'heater' does nothing to remove the ice from the windscreen, other than to unstick the wiper blades?

as for your radio reception, is it worse if you, for example depress the heated rear window switch, or is it generally poor? I don't think the radios are great in weak signal areas anyway but I had a fault with mine that when I depressed the aforementioned switch the radio turned to static, if you know what I mean. Mine was a fautly rear screen, had to have the whole thing replaced!!

No, the rear screen heater makes no difference.

Thanks for the replies :)

So is it the case in your IS the same as mine.....this 'heater' does nothing to remove the ice from the windscreen, other than to unstick the wiper blades?

That's all it's designed to do...but it saves ripping the rubber of the edge of the blades when you try and operate with them frozen to the screen :angry:

...and just to add - the radio reception is not that great on most cars that have antenna and rear screen combined. I listen to Radio 5 Live alot and in some areas in the Lex (as my old Audi) it is very scratchy on 909 or 693MW.

In the USA I saw one new IS (in the same Hotel as me) which had the colour coded Shark Fin. Contrary to what I think of them (bloomin' BMW rep coat hangers) if they make a difference then there could be a case for having them here too...

Hi,

this has come up before. A number of posters agree that radio reception is not as good as they expected, myself included.

As for the deicer I have used it but like the original poster I think directing heated air at the windscreen is more effective than the de-icer.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links