Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brake Squeals - Caliper Replacement?

AllexUK

I've recently had my brake pads and discs replaced using Prestige Servicing. On top of their more extensive Option B service, (my IS200 just passed 50k miles) it worked out to some £600. Was an ouch to say the least but Lexus parts were all used, so a little more bearable.

Anyway, upon receipt of the car, I noticed some significant squealing on braking. Bedding in I thought, until I realised that actually the squeal didn't decrease over time, and 3 weeks later is still present. Also i notice that when driving in traffic at around 15-20mph, I can hear a "tsk-tsk-tsk" sound as the wheels are rotating. A little faster and the sound is more "Squeak-squeak", but oddly stops when I press the brake pedal.

Took it back to the garage and he tells me its likely to be the caliber. Because the pads and disks are now changed, the additional thickness could be making the sound. Is this true? Likely?

I have asked him for a cost, and checking with Lexus Southampton was quoted £400 for replacement and fitting. Seems incredibly expensive.

Can anyone give me some guidance on this?

And maybe recommend a trusted and reliable Lexus Servicing Shop on the South Coast...Bournemouth / Southampton way?

Thanks

IM

I've recently had my brake pads and discs replaced using Prestige Servicing. On top of their more extensive Option B service, (my IS200 just passed 50k miles) it worked out to some £600. Was an ouch to say the least but Lexus parts were all used, so a little more bearable.

Anyway, upon receipt of the car, I noticed some significant squealing on braking. Bedding in I thought, until I realised that actually the squeal didn't decrease over time, and 3 weeks later is still present. Also i notice that when driving in traffic at around 15-20mph, I can hear a "tsk-tsk-tsk" sound as the wheels are rotating. A little faster and the sound is more "Squeak-squeak", but oddly stops when I press the brake pedal.

Took it back to the garage and he tells me its likely to be the caliber. Because the pads and disks are now changed, the additional thickness could be making the sound. Is this true? Likely?

I have asked him for a cost, and checking with Lexus Southampton was quoted £400 for replacement and fitting. Seems incredibly expensive.

Can anyone give me some guidance on this?

And maybe recommend a trusted and reliable Lexus Servicing Shop on the South Coast...Bournemouth / Southampton way?

Thanks

IM

Did they anti-squeal shims get put back on. There are 2 plates per side, which go behind the pad, so the caliper hits that first?

Tell them to put some copper grease on the back of the pads. They should have done it anyway. As for the ticking noise it is prob the new discs slightly rubbing on something but it would only be a bit of built up dirt or rust etc. I would say there is no need to change the caliper at all, so long as it is operating properly.

Go and get a different garage to look at it first.

Tell them to put some copper grease on the back of the pads. They should have done it anyway. As for the ticking noise it is prob the new discs slightly rubbing on something but it would only be a bit of built up dirt or rust etc. I would say there is no need to change the caliper at all, so long as it is operating properly.

Go and get a different garage to look at it first.

It could be that the pads arnt put in properly like said above, calipers don't tend to squeel. they bind, or sease up. jack the car up and spin the wheel and see if it's free or not. by the way there probably not seased anyway because the garage should have noticed if they were when replacing the pads as it's dificult to push the piston back.

to sum up, it's probably not the calipers fault.

All good advice, thanks guys....I've seen genuine replacement calipers online for about 100 quid, so how Lexus can quote £282 I have no idea. Can ill afford that kinda cash.

Anyone have any good garages they've used in the past? I'm kinda new to the area and looking for recommendations.

As I said, Southampton / Bournemouth way.

Thanks again

IM

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links