Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Relatively Quick Pressure Drop Of Tyres,

nevarthur

Hi group,

I have an IS200SE with 17" alloys that has half worn tyres all round, Dunlop SP9000s, the Lexus spec ones. I tend to lose as much as 3 psi a day on one of them, a couple of psi on another, and perhaps just 1 psi on another. The 4th seems to be normal loss, just a psi or so maximum, never more. It's quite frustrating, and means I have to have a manual pump at home and I check pressures carefully before a long journey.

Does anybody have opinions about whether punctures that slow can be fixed, or is there some sort of sealant that could be used, please?

I am saving up for new tyres at some point, but probably wouldn't bother with these Dunlops again. There was a Which? test recently and the Dunlops didn't get a sniff of being a Best Buy! I personally think they're way too noisy.

Cheers everybody, Nev

Sounds to me like a slow puncture in 1, dodgy valve pos for other 2 ?

Maybe. Do you think new valves all round and see how I get on, or could a garage fix small punctures like that? Cheers Wozza.

Nev

Check the valves matey with a bit of neat soap liquid, put a bit in the top of each valve and see if bubbles appear? you can do it on the rims where there tyre meets the rim but better to do it with the wheel of the car so you can do both sides? Most people use a bit of water to do it but i find running soap liquid round the rim shows it up as it'lL blow bubbles that can bee seen better? My brother had the same problem and had his tyre resealed and a new valve due to air leakage?

Sounds to me like a slow puncture in 1, dodgy valve pos for other 2 ?

Maybe. Do you think new valves all round and see how I get on, or could a garage fix small punctures like that? Cheers Wozza.

Nev

Check the valves matey with a bit of neat soap liquid, put a bit in the top of each valve and see if bubbles appear? you can do it on the rims where there tyre meets the rim but better to do it with the wheel of the car so you can do both sides? Most people use a bit of water to do it but i find running soap liquid round the rim shows it up as it'lL blow bubbles that can bee seen better? My brother had the same problem and had his tyre resealed and a new valve due to air leakage?

That sounds like a good idea aztecbandit, many thanks for that. It will also give me a chance to see more accurately how the tyres are wearing. Thanks again mate.

Nev

Just bought a 02 sportcross and with the bills I got from the previous owner was an item called bead sealing, front wheels. I looked it up and it's used to seal the tyres to the rims when the alloy wheels start to corrode insides, preventing the tyres from sealing properly. Think it cost £15 for 2 wheels inc re-balancing.

Worth a thought.

Good luck

jack

Just bought a 02 sportcross and with the bills I got from the previous owner was an item called bead sealing, front wheels. I looked it up and it's used to seal the tyres to the rims when the alloy wheels start to corrode insides, preventing the tyres from sealing properly. Think it cost £15 for 2 wheels inc re-balancing.

Worth a thought.

Good luck

Jack

Thanks for that, I'd never even heard of it being a problem, so I wouldn't have thought of that. I was just going to get the tyres replaced!

Nev

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts on this. I eventually got to a tyre place and asked them to investigate. On putting the soapy solution round the beading on the tyre that was losing around 3psi a day, one could see bubbles emerging from between the rim and tyre. Once the tyre was taken off, there was visible damage to the tyre in that area, a great big nick in the beading with a bit hanging off. After checking all the tyres, 3 of them were like this, so I replaced all of them with the Bridgestone Potenzas mentioned elsewhere. It was the considered opinion of the various fitters there and the manager, that not enough lubricant had been used by the muppet that fitted thoses tyres in the first place, so if you get the chance to inspect work when you're having tyres replaced or you have slow punctures after having had tyres replaced, perhaps suspect bad fitting techniques if you don't see soap on the sidewall!

Might save someone some money.

Nev

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts on this. I eventually got to a tyre place and asked them to investigate. On putting the soapy solution round the beading on the tyre that was losing around 3psi a day, one could see bubbles emerging from between the rim and tyre. Once the tyre was taken off, there was visible damage to the tyre in that area, a great big nick in the beading with a bit hanging off. After checking all the tyres, 3 of them were like this, so I replaced all of them with the Bridgestone Potenzas mentioned elsewhere. It was the considered opinion of the various fitters there and the manager, that not enough lubricant had been used by the muppet that fitted thoses tyres in the first place, so if you get the chance to inspect work when you're having tyres replaced or you have slow punctures after having had tyres replaced, perhaps suspect bad fitting techniques if you don't see soap on the sidewall!

Might save someone some money.

Nev

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links