Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

hi all i am new to this site i have read a lot about mpg on the 220 so i though i would share how i have got on. i have had the car 6 weeks its a 57 plate 220MM got 57.5mpg from leicester to london and back with 4 persons and bags forget 6th gear stay in 5th at 70, i think i would have got more had it not been for the road works. love the car and the toys. looking forward to your replies.

Hiya matey, nice one, glad you have better mpg than some of the members here, and glad you enjoyed he car too, my is a 56 plate 220d +MM, only done 2200 miles, and atm i get around 37-39mpg so hopefully will go up with more miles on the clock, and yes i do enjoy the car very much, just shame not much nice weather to drive it in.... :( :( :( :(

• 9 months later...

Just to add to this thread - my MPG on 220 is now down to around 27 or 28 but maybe because it is a 40MPH limit and 4th/5th gear thing.

I have noticed it is getting worse with age. I am now on 41k and very surprised how bad it can be.

On a motoway now I drive at maybe 65-70PH in 6th gear so that the rev counter is below 1500 - I have no power to overtake or anything and yet my computer MPG shows only around 35 MPG! I'm not sure what else can be done to improve the MPG but I hardly touch the accelerator there is no weight in the car and it absoultely nowhere near the reported 50 or so MPG when I bought it!

65-70 mph needs to be done in 5th, forget 6th. Then you will get 55mpg. Anything that makes the engine strain, head wind, rain, too low revs will hammer the fuel consumption. If you need to use 6th you need the revs to be neare 1900 rpm.

If the revs are that low, you will have to really open the throttle wide to get any acceleration - this is what's killing your fuel consumption. Revs are not the be-all and end-all of fuel consumption!

65-70 mph needs to be done in 5th, forget 6th. Then you will get 55mpg. Anything that makes the engine strain, head wind, rain, too low revs will hammer the fuel consumption. If you need to use 6th you need the revs to be neare 1900 rpm.

Agree that 5th is better for legal motorway speeds but no way will my 220d get anything like 55mpg - I did Swindon to Exeter pretty much on cruise control set at 70 in 5th and it barely got above 42mpg. It also needs more than 2k revs to pull 6th properly

My average at the moment is a calculated 37mpg, it sucks....

it may be worth trying some bg 244,see here http://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/page.php/article2

Do you know if it's compatible with DPS4 and does it improve consumption?

it's a once only treatment through one tank of fuel and the makers claim that it restores as new engine performance,all the information is there at the web address.i just thought it might be worth a punt for those members with performance issues.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links