Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Overheating Above 75 Mph

Hallex

My car is presently in Teesside Lexus having the cylinder head removed due to an overheating problem. This was reported first when my car was recalled to have the 5th Injector change a few months ago. Evidence of anti-freeze was sprayed over the engine due to overpressure of the expansion bottle cap.

When I received my car back that day the recall work had been done but I was told that there was no problem with the overheating. The car was due a 50,000 mile service in about 2500 miles time.

My car was booked in for a 50,000 miles service on Wednesday 11th June when I again reported that the car was overheating above 75 mph and signs of anti-freeze were on the engine. When I picked up my car that night I was told they could find no problems and had in fact changed the expansion bottle cap as they thought the seal was damaged.

On my way home the engine overheated again and when I got home the engine was again sprayed with engine coolant. I informed Lexus Teesside and I was told to contact Lexus assist, which I did and they retrieved the car from my home the following day and the RAC arranged a hire vehicle for me which is a VW Passat TDI. Hardly the luxury of my Lexus?

Still no update when the car will be ready, has anyone else had problems with cylinder heads?

• 1 year later...

Hey mate, I had the same problem as you. I've bought my car from Germany took it back my home country and just when I arrived home I saw pink spots on the engine cover, contacted the dealer and he told me to F**k off, asked a lawyer to talk to him for me and they took my car from Romania to Germany fixed and gave it back to me. I've had the gasket replaced and something related to the cylinder. Overall it was a 4000 euros job, from what i understood. I can see it's an old post and I'm curious what happened to your car.

• 1 year later...

Yes, I have - aplenty.

My car is presently in Teesside Lexus having the cylinder head removed due to an overheating problem. This was reported first when my car was recalled to have the 5th Injector change a few months ago. Evidence of anti-freeze was sprayed over the engine due to overpressure of the expansion bottle cap.

When I received my car back that day the recall work had been done but I was told that there was no problem with the overheating. The car was due a 50,000 mile service in about 2500 miles time.

My car was booked in for a 50,000 miles service on Wednesday 11th June when I again reported that the car was overheating above 75 mph and signs of anti-freeze were on the engine. When I picked up my car that night I was told they could find no problems and had in fact changed the expansion bottle cap as they thought the seal was damaged.

On my way home the engine overheated again and when I got home the engine was again sprayed with engine coolant. I informed Lexus Teesside and I was told to contact Lexus assist, which I did and they retrieved the car from my home the following day and the RAC arranged a hire vehicle for me which is a VW Passat TDI. Hardly the luxury of my Lexus?

Still no update when the car will be ready, has anyone else had problems with cylinder heads?

My IS 250 SE petrol Automatic needs a new engine after only 70,000 miles , as it has lost coolant and overheated to such a point that the engine is beyond repair. The dealer (and Lexus UK) blame the engine failure on the fact that the car had not been serviced for 15,000 miles, though it had a complete service record up to 55,000 miles, but every time I enquired about how often the car should be serviced, I was told that the onboard computer would show me when it was due for service – it never did. In the end, I booked it in for service with the dealer, but too late - the engine packed up 48 hours before the day I had it booked in for.

The dealer also accuses me of having ignored warning lights – but there was no warning till a few minutes before it finally packed up, and even then it was only the VSC light which came on.

On the basis of the electronic log, the dealer tells me the engine reached a very high temperature, but the AA man who worked on it on the spot (it broke down on the M5) mentioned nothing about the engine being especially hot, even though he arrived too promptly for the engine to have had much time to cool down (it was also a warm sunny day). In fact, he mentioned nothing about coolant loss, and his tentative diagnosis was a problem with the cam chain.

• 3 weeks later...

I assume Lexus sorted it out under guarantee?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links