Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My Steering Wheel's Offset

Dodgydave

I don't know whether anyone on here will be able to help with this, advise, explanation, whatever.

I think it's probably a question for Tony (WIM) really. I hope he reads this.

I had the 2 front tyres on my IS200 changed in October/November last year as the existing ones were suffering from the usual inner edge wear. I bought 2 Dunlop SP9000, the Lexus specific ones, and direct replacement for the ones that were on.

In December I took her to Tony at WIM and had the wheel alignment done and I must say everything that I had read about him and his service was so true. After wards she drove and handled brilliant.

In April this year I needed to get the rear tyres replaced so I went back to the people who supplied and fitted the fronts, Etyres. Now I must say I can't fault Etyres, on both occasions they have been faultless in their service and price, but on this occasion they couldn't supply the Lexus specific SP9000s so I had to settle for the standard Dunlop SP9000s, they are different, believe me, and Tony confirmed this when I visited him.

After having the rears changed I became aware of a strange sensation of the rear end wandering, even on a straight high speed road. So after about a week or two of this I decided to swap the front and rear tyres around to see if I could cure it. Having done this all is well again, no wondering, strange feelings nothing. But, and this is odd, after swapping the wheels around I discovered that my steering wheel is now slightly off center (not dead ahead), it's now about 2 degrees to the left.

I can't see how what I've done can have effected the steering wheel position. I haven't had the tracking altered or anything that I would consider would effect this.

Any help would be much appreciated, or has anyone else experienced the same problem?

Dave

Tricky one.....

If i recall the SP9000L has a reinforced sidewall, so the absence of this may explain the feel when they were on the drive wheels.

As for the steering position, that's another issue. The construction of the tyre is radial ply then the radial tread, on all tyres there is an error in their alignment. This error can cause the car to drift or in your case offset the steering.

A simple test it to mover the fronts side-to-side a see what difference it makes......I know the tyres are directional, the move is only a test.

Additionally the L is no longer made?

Thanks for that Tony.

I will swap them side to side as a test and see what happens. I'll keep you posted as t othe results but it may be a little while cause I'm not sure when I'm going to be able to swap them.

Thanks,

Dave.

Thanks for that Tony.

I will swap them side to side as a test and see what happens. I'll keep you posted as t othe results but it may be a little while cause I'm not sure when I'm going to be able to swap them.

Thanks,

Dave.

Ok mate...... I'm sure many members reading this thread will be interested.

Well I managed to find the time to swap my wheels around earlier this evening.

First I swapped the fronts from side to side. Took her for a drive and this had made no difference at all, the steering wheel was slightly offset.

So I decided to swap front to back, back to front again so the Lexus specific Dunlops are now back on the front. Having done this the steering wheel has gone back to it's original center position, as it was after taking to Tony for th wheel alignment. I haven't had a chance to dive it far enough or long enough yet to see if the wandering back end has come back.

I think probably the only long term answer is to swap them back and then get the tracking adjusted so that the steering wheel is straight again. The only thing is I'm a bit reluctant to have this done cause I don't know if I can trust anywhere local to get it correct.

Dave.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links