Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Noise From Rear Brakes.

Gareth Rose

Hi guys, I've noticed a bit of a noise that I could also feel through the brake pedal when braking firmly. Kind of like a rumbling type noise (like the disc was slightly warped but I couldnt tell which wheel it was coming from. Well I knew that the front discs and pads needed changing anyway so I changed them. But the noise is still there and getting slightly worse. So its got to be the rears. I got the mintex front discs and pads off that guy on eBay and Im more than happy with them. I've looked on his shop and hes got rear discs and pads, but it doesn't mention anything about the drum or the shoes. Is it all in one unit? I dont need to change the handbrake shoes as well do I? Is it much more difficult to change the rears than the front?

Heres the link to them

rears

Cheers guys

Gazza

The drum is built into the discs.

When getting the rears discs off, you need to wind the self adjuster back off slightly to get the handbrake shoes to clear any lip that may have formed on the drum face. You do this by rotating the disc until the hole in the drum is towards the bottom, you can then get a screw driver through the hole to back off the adjuster. Everything else (removing caliper, mount etc ) is the same as the front pretty much.

It only happenis when I brake firmly, so impretty certain its not wheel bearings. Through the pedal you can feel it pulsating slightly. Ive also got a steering wheel wobble at about 50, which I presume is wheel balancing, so dont know if theyre connected.

Thanks for the replies

Gazza

Hi,

I see that you have a problem with your rear brakes. Another possibility is… may be there’s problem with your wheels. Wheels that are not balanced usually produce a vibration that is uncomfortable to drive in and thus resulting in premature wearing of suspension and steering components, rotating parts and tyres. A person may not always sense an inequity at the steering wheel. This is why balancing is required to be done uniformly, for both front and rear wheels. Unbalanced wheels usually cause other problems… gradually:-

Uneven tyre start wearing out early, which reduces the useful life of the tires

Unnecessary wear on your shocks, struts and other suspension components.

Increased fuel consumption, because the engine must work harder to overcome this additional force.

http://www.lexuspartsdirect.co.uk

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links