Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Shift And Handbrake Boot

There's a kind on eBay (e.g. item number 280240695345,bung it in the search) and they look really good - has anyone tried them? Does anyone have a photo?

For some reason the shift boot on my IS200 is really shiny and also cracked a bit, it looks a bit wrong somehow. I was thinking of replacing it with one of these jobbies. What do people think?

Doesn't look too difficult to fit. You have to re-use the plastic chrome-style surround off the existing gearstick boot though.

I'm just wondering how well the leather will blend in with my interior which has the full black leather. I think it will look better because the gearstick boot in the car is really shiny and doesn't match the nice matt finish seats.

Update: I just went and bought one off eBay, so will get some pictures and feedback up when it arrives!!!!

Well the new leather boots arrived so I fitted them Saturday afternoon. What a nightmare!

The leather is really nice and they're well made, but essentially you have to rip off the standard leather which is glued on, and then glue on the new stuff. I used a fabric adhesive aerosol which was a bit awkward, a liquid would have been better.

The gearstick boot wasn't too bad to fit, although you have to pull up the whole panel with the cigarette lighter on then unscrew the gear gaitor from underneath.

The handbrake boot was a real pain to fit because the new boot seemed a little bit too tight and it took quite a few goes to keep removing it and glueing it back in place, trying to get it to look right.

I did try to take some pictures as I went along so will post them up soon.

Overall opinion, a bit tricky to fit, handbrake boot seems a bit too small to be honest, but the finished look is good, especially the gearstick one which looks much better than oem - IMO of course :)

So not an easy job then. And not easily returned to standard.

Does the finished effect justify the hassle? That's the question.

Pics would be great.

I'm still undecided. Though still have stereo and HIDs to fit, if I can find time to work on the car!

I asked the seller a while ago how easy they were to fit. His responce was brilliant:

"It is not easy, but it is not hard."

Still undecided, but may get them. About to finish the stereo and change all the interior lighting so may be a nice little touch too.

Am I correct in assuming once you have these fitted that you couldn't/wouldn't want to remove them and refit the originals at any time?

• 2 weeks later...

Updating this a bit, I'm not really that happy with my new leather trim.

The OEM ones on the car were look cracked and messy, but the new style I've fitted doesn't seem to suit the car.

Does anyone know how much it would cost to buy the parts from a dealer so I could go back to OEM? I'd want the whole assembly (i.e. leather and frame/gaitor) not just the leather, as I don't want to start messing about trying to refit leather to the existing frames.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links