Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Potential New Owner, Advice Needed

am about to start looking for an rx300 but an unsure of which model to go for. i have a max budget of around 10k so am unsure of whether to go for a higher mileage mk2 or a low mileage mk1. is the facelift model that much better as the prices are much much higher for the mk2, are they really that much better. i think that the dash looks loads better in the mk2 but what are the other differences between the 2, is the engine and box the same etc and do they have similar high spec levels, anything that i should make sure that it definately has.

i am buying it with the intention of towing a caravan so have read that the air suspension would be better but is this likely to be more of a money pit in the future over a model with standard springs.

are there any big expensive services to look out for or any known faults that i should be checking for. my heart says to go for the mk2 as the interior looks superb and i really dont like the two tone colours that most of the mk1's seem to come with but for my budget there will not be a lot of choice so my head says to go for a mk1 and get a really decent low miles example, what do you think.

any help much appreciated as this will be by far the most i have ever spent on a motor and i want to make sure that i dont buy a lemon especially with the new tax rules meaning that it may become difficult to sell on again in the future.

thanks in advance.

am about to start looking for an rx300 but an unsure of which model to go for. i have a max budget of around 10k so am unsure of whether to go for a higher mileage mk2 or a low mileage mk1. is the facelift model that much better as the prices are much much higher for the mk2, are they really that much better. i think that the dash looks loads better in the mk2 but what are the other differences between the 2, is the engine and box the same etc and do they have similar high spec levels, anything that i should make sure that it definately has.

i am buying it with the intention of towing a caravan so have read that the air suspension would be better but is this likely to be more of a money pit in the future over a model with standard springs.

are there any big expensive services to look out for or any known faults that i should be checking for. my heart says to go for the mk2 as the interior looks superb and i really dont like the two tone colours that most of the mk1's seem to come with but for my budget there will not be a lot of choice so my head says to go for a mk1 and get a really decent low miles example, what do you think.

any help much appreciated as this will be by far the most i have ever spent on a motor and i want to make sure that i dont buy a lemon especially with the new tax rules meaning that it may become difficult to sell on again in the future.

thanks in advance.

One main factor which helped me choose between a low mileage mk1 and a high mileage mk2 was for the lpg conversion, in a mk1 the lpg tank goes where the spare wheel is, inside under the carpet at the back, whereas in the mk2 the lpg tank goes underneath/outside the car at the back, which in my opinion seems pretty close to the ground, in all conversions I've seen anyway. Well worth going for the lpg too, as last weekend, went on a 1000 mile jaunt, costing just under £100.

Service charges I've been quoted by Lexus Exeter are around £235 for my upcoming 40k service, and around the mid £500 for the biggy 60k service which I understand they do everything, cam belt included.

My tip would be to go for a low mileage mk1 for around the £8k mark, and spend the remaining 2k on getting it converted to lpg,if you're going to keep it for at least 4-5 years it should have paid for itself by then, but hey that's just my opinion.

Regarding problems...Then both models are great.Nothing to be frightened of on either model. Performance, then there isn't much difference. (Although I know mine will kick ar$e of the MK2 models ):winky: Towing capability is the same.

It will,probably come down to asthetics / looks. I prefer the MK1 body shape but the MK2 interior dash. Spec levels on both are high as is the luxury you expect from a Lexus SUV

High mileage on any of the models isn't a worry so long as you have an honest service history. But obviously the lower the mileage the better for you.

It's a buyers market at the moment so there really are some bargains to be had out there. It's your budget so off you go.

Let us know how you go on. Whichever you choose I assure you that it won't be a disappoitment.

Terry

nice to know that there isnt really anything to worry about with either model and if both performance and spec levels are similar on both then why on earth are the facelift models so much more expensive :unsure: i have seen 52 plates for as little as £6k and 03 plate facelifts going for anything between £10-£15k :blink: can they really be that much better.

lpg isnt really something that i have considered as i dont do many miles and rarely keep my cars for very long either.

i think i will start looking around and see what crops up, best try and get my current car shifted as well. thanks.

well we went to look at a couple today and saw a series1 and series2 side by side and i have to admit that pictures dont really seem to do the series1 justice as it is a very smart looking motor and even the interior looks good in the flesh, only trouble is that for some reason the wife didnt like it and has said that she wants the newer type :tsktsk: typical that she would want the expensive one.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links