Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Toyota Windom Instrument Cluster Problems

kansai

Hi all.

My name is Kal and I own a 1993 Toyota Windom. I am in Melbourne, Australia. Let me say one thing before I scream for help! This site is absolutely cool. I've already found a lot of useful info for my car here.

Now for the problem.

As you Windom owners are probably aware, the LED's in the instrument cluster die every now and then. So I changed the cluster, found a cheap second hand deal from a wrecked Windom. So i installed the new cluster and noticed that the Cruise Control light and the TEMS ligh didn't work. All good, took the globes out of my old cluster and went to replace trhem in the new one. To my shock and horror, the cluuster I had just bought was from a lower spec windom.

NOW FOR THE CRAZY PART!?!?!?!?!?!

I proceeded to take the black face plate off my old cluster and swap it with the good parts from the new cluster. No probs- put it back in the car-all good. I've got my old km reading, so on and so forth.(The new cluster had done 875km-YEAH RIGHT)

However, take it back a few notches. When I first installed the cluster, two of the fixing screws fell behind the dashboard. So I pulled off the lower part of the dash board (where the airvent and fuse box resides). All good, I found the screws and put it back together. I then put the new cluster back in and ...........wait for it, SRS Airbag light remains lit up!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I have since tried resetting the ECU to no avail. Somebody help, is the Airbag going to pop if I use the car or will it be OK until I get it to Toyota in the next few days?

Your help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Hi Kal:

When u had problem with ur old dash cluster, did all the light bulbs just die together? or just some of them?

My 94 ES300 has 2 areas looks faint within the cluster. One around 6000~7000RPM and another area is around 130KM/H. No problem with LED needles. They dont affect reading the speedo/techo. It's just doesnt look as good as when it's new!

SSML

• 1 month later...

no the airbag shouldn't pop as it registered a problem

so it willl go into fail safe and shut itself down

the ecu for the airbag is locate under the center console

so when taking it to the dealer take everythign out from there as it will have to be opened for acess if needed

there is a setting that if the light is read by the ecu as faulty it will tell the main ecu to turn the check engine light on instead

you didn't happen to change the cluster with the Battery connected did you?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links