Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Reversing And Limited Slip Diff

Lastnight I swung the car round, by turning into a side street and reversing out with full lock on, slowly.

The road was really wet, I heard a strange grinding noise from the back of the car, as if the tyres were skidding over the surface.

My car is a sport model and has a LSD fitted (confirmed on the transmission code).

I was trying to think what it was, and had one idea. What I don't know about LSD's is how much slip they actually allow. Is it possible on a full lock turn to hit the limit of the LSD, so the inner wheel could still be turning when it shouldn't?

The other thing I was thinking about an LSD is does it still take effect when the clutch is dipped - because when I heard the noise the first time, I think I was coasting to a stop (with full lock on).

Lastnight I swung the car round, by turning into a side street and reversing out with full lock on, slowly.

The road was really wet, I heard a strange grinding noise from the back of the car, as if the tyres were skidding over the surface.

My car is a sport model and has a LSD fitted (confirmed on the transmission code).

I was trying to think what it was, and had one idea. What I don't know about LSD's is how much slip they actually allow. Is it possible on a full lock turn to hit the limit of the LSD, so the inner wheel could still be turning when it shouldn't?

The other thing I was thinking about an LSD is does it still take effect when the clutch is dipped - because when I heard the noise the first time, I think I was coasting to a stop (with full lock on).

Are you sure it was from the back ? try reversing on big car park, full lock, both ways, with door open (dive slow) and see if you can here anything, if you here clicking from the front then you have cv joint gone.

Are you sure it was from the back ? try reversing on big car park, full lock, both ways, with door open (dive slow) and see if you can here anything, if you here clicking from the front then you have cv joint gone.

It was definitely the back of the car, and it wasn't a clicking, it was more like a grinding noise. I'll have to investigate more, but was wondering if it was normal with an LSD.

It was definitely the back of the car, and it wasn't a clicking, it was more like a grinding noise. I'll have to investigate more, but was wondering if it was normal with an LSD.

It's normal in some mechanical LSD but not in helical Torsen LSD that should be very smooth and quiet.

...clicking from the front then you have cv joint gone.

No CV joints on the front LOL

The LSD itself might well be nice and smooth, but it is possible you heard the tyre scrubbing as it's movement will be linked to the other wheel.

It would be the same in neutral too.

No CV joints on the front LOL

The LSD itself might well be nice and smooth, but it is possible you heard the tyre scrubbing as it's movement will be linked to the other wheel.

It would be the same in neutral too.

That's exactly the sort of thing I was thinking of :)

It was a full lock turn, and it was that kind of road surface that seems to have a layer of very small loose stones on top, and it was wet, so there wasn't much grip, I wondered if the wheel dragged a bit because of teh LSD.

I think it might be normal - hope so anyway :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links