Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

97 Mk1 Gs300 Oil Leak

rtjc83

Hi guys,

New member here with first question. Hopefully some of you can give some pointers and/or shed some light. I have a 97 GS 300 Sport with 120K on it (2JZ-GE) only owned it a week and drives like a dream. However it has sprung a nasty oil leak and im unsure where exactly its from. But it "could" be from the oil filter housing (factory sandwich plate?) Car had no leaks when i bought it so its just gone very recently. It seems to be from that passenger side of engine and has been running down the block & backwards under the car... onto the exhaust etc. A friend thinks this oil filter housing is no1 supsect so far.

Do the filter housings have a gasket behind them? or some sort of seal? Being new to the Lexus scene im unsure of where to look for technical information or advice. Are there are area's i should be looking at for the leak? known spots etc.

Also, would it be worth asking the Supra guys over on their forum about this?

Thanks in advance for any help, its much appreciated.

Cheers

Ross

There is an oil seal on the filter, and I would assume a gasket between the sandwich plate and and engine block.

I had an oil leak that used to drip onto the exhaust, most visible around the bell housing and would run down the gearbox and cross member. It turned out to be the rear crank oil seal. Prices for the job varied hugely, from £940 from Lexus, to £311 at a local garage. Get the oil filter locations checked first of course.

Thanks for your reply, its much appreciated :) . Ive had a few pointers from a nice lad on the Supra forum regarding the oil pressure switch which is seemingly prone to failing and leaking quite badly. Its behind the aircon compressor and on the same side of the engine so im going to check that first i think, and look at the filter & housing at the same time. Will hopefully get a good look at it whenever a friend of mine, and myself are free. Will report back incase it can be of help to others. Fingers crossed it is indeed one of these issues and nothing major.

On another note, my Lexus is the same as yours, model and colour ;)

Cheers

• 3 months later...
And?

Fixed?

Oi.........where ya gone?.....

He He He

Woops should have updated. Nope. Not fixed yet. I do however, have a whole heap of servicing stuff for the car here including the fix. But it hasnt really leaked any more at all, mainly due to me not using it for long motorway journeys just now and more just local driving. It initailly appeared to be much worse than it actually is... thankfully! The oil level hasnt gone down at all. And ist not dripping any oil. Its running very well, but shall be doing it soon along with the usual service items and cleaning the engine up properly - not just the oily bits :zee:

Thanks for the interest though. Whenever we do get round to it, i'll post up clean engine pics lol

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links