Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Newbie To Detailing Needing Advice Please

Deeg

Hi folks,

As it says in the title Im new to this detailing malarky and looking to get some information before I set about attacking the swirl marks and fine scratches on the IS.

This is my current plan...

1 - Wash with snowfoam.

2 - Dry with microfibre drying cloth.

Now at this point I used to use Mer to polish but Im looking to use clay.

Im thinking of getting this stuff as it says it is ideal for starting with - Meguiars Quick Clay - Any other recommendations??

Also Looking to SEal it and and a nice shiney finish.... all recommendations welcome.

Sorry if this is question is old Im just getting a bit confused checking out all the different products!!

Deeg

Hi folks,

As it says in the title Im new to this detailing malarky and looking to get some information before I set about attacking the swirl marks and fine scratches on the IS.

1 - Wash with snowfoam.

2 - Dry with Microfibre drying cloth.

Now at this point I used to use Mer to polish but Im looking to use Clay.

Im thinking of getting this stuff as it says it is ideal for starting with - Meguiars Quick Clay - Any other recommendations??

Also Looking to SEal it and and a nice shiney finish.... all recommendations welcome.

Sorry if this is question is old Im just getting a bit confused checking out all the different products!!

Deeg

Hi Deeg,

first place to go is http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/

Take slow steps and read the reviews and guides in the newbie nuggets section ( I still am) http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=50574

my weapons are : http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=57140

Hope this helps

Mike

Hi folks,

1 - Wash with snowfoam.

2 - Dry with Microfibre drying cloth.

Now at this point I used to use Mer to polish but Im looking to use Clay.

Also Looking to seal it and and a nice shiney finish.... all recommendations welcome.

Snow foam is a pre-wash stage, to remove as much grime as possible, leaving only the more tenacious traffic film to contend with, with your wash mitt and shampoo solution.

So, after foaming, leaving to dwell for 6-8 mins, then rinsing, you wash the paintwork from top to bottom, with two buckets - shampoo solution in one, and clean rinse water in the other.

Rinse the mitt each panel, before resoaping.

Rinse off car, and then dry with your mf towel, except if you plan on claying.

In which case, I highly suggest you forget the Meguiar's, and opt for the much better Bilt Hamber Autoclay soft.

With a spray bottle of water, use a piece of the clay (1/4-1/5 the bar) to remove any bonded on contaminants, folding it over and flattening again each panel or half panel - depending on how it looks.

You'll hear it, and feel the resistance change when the bar has lifted the contaminants from the surface and pores.

Don't use any real downward pressure - let the clay glide over the surface until it moves freely - feeling the wet paint with a bit of clingfilm over a few fingertips is how you gauge whether it needs doing or not, and if you've got rid of it all.

If you don't plan on machine polishing, then if you fancy being a hero, use Autoglym SRP with a German Applicator, to tackle the swirls and RiDS (random deep scratches), before sealing with either EGP or something a fair bit better - Autobalm from Bilt Hamber.

It, like SRP, has fillers too, so it'll mask a fair bit of the defects in your paint, with 2 layers, 30-60 mins apart - more so the latter at this time of year, unless in a warmish garage.

If the manual labour aspect doesn't appeal at the moment, then dispense with the AG SRP, and just apply the Autobalm on dried paintwork, although you can be a bit lazy and apply it on wet paint too.

Any more help, just ask.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links