Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all

New to Lexus, I have a '98 GS 300SE. When travelling along at speed from about 65mph the car starts to vibrate, gradually worsening up through 80 to about 90 -95. Not a heavy vibration but noticeable and not as it should be. Doesn't appear to come through the steering more of a shake of the car. Such a shame for such a smooth rider.

Took it back to dealer who say that by law they do not test drive above 70 so they may have missed it. They did however agree to re-balance driving wheels, which has made little effect.

Tyres; Yokohama on the front and Pirelli P6000 on the back.

Any suggestions as its going back to them in June and I don't want to name the dealer just yet ??? :question:

I'd say it's almost certain to be a balancing problem - you might want to take the car to a quality independent tyre fitter and get the balancing carefully checked.

Does it make any difference if you swap the wheels front to back?

I havent tried swapping rear wheels to the front. I'll try this and see. Will there be any tracking problems etc,, swapping rear wheels to the front. Are the tyres location specific... :question:

I havent tried swapping rear wheels to the front. I'll try this and see. Will there be any tracking problems etc,, swapping rear wheels to the front. Are the tyres location specific... :question:

You can swap the tyres front to back without any problems - the tracking is unaffected. Just don't swap them side to side if you have directional tyres.

You may need to adjust the pressures a little too

If balancing and tracking makes no difference, and it usually does, then it could possibly be wheel bearing(s). You can check for this by jacking up the vehicle, having somone apply the brakes, and rocking the wheel from top-to-bottom. This will usually show any excessive wear.

Hi

You may want to read some of the posts I have made on my problems with my current GS300. There are a number of issues which can be causing the vibration, but the GS with 17" wheels is particularly prone to vibration if the wheels are not balanced spot on. You need to find an outlet where the have a stud located balancing machine and get them done there first. There is also a fair amount of info on this on the USA site as the car is sold in far greater numbers there. Hope you get it fixed as Lexus couldn't fix mine. It appears they moded the suspension and the steering rack on 2001 models onwards.

Don't get me wrong though - I love the car and think it's the best motor I've had in fact I am waiting for my new GS430 to be delivered in about a week!

Let me know how you get on or drop me a line if you want more info

Hope you get it sorted so you can enjoy the car

GC

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links