Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How To Replace Wing Mirror Gs300 Mk2

Hi folks,

finally managed to get hold of a used wing mirror. I've done a search on here and there is a guide on how to replace the wing mirror, however, it looks like its a guide for a gs300 mk1 as I can't seem to find the scews to remove the door panel. I haven't tried removing the tweeter cover just yet, but I assume this will come off.

I also have to replace the glass mirror as the used one is completely discoloured, hopefully, this is a case of clipping it off.

Any help guys, really appreciated.

Thx

I'm having problems trying to get the glass mirror off, tried following the guide - pull the lower side of the mirror up but it won't disconnect, I don't want to use too much force in case I break anything.

Is this guide also for the mk1 is a different procedure required for the mk2.

any help appreciated, thx

Which guide did you use? On the Mk1, to get the glass off I pushed to top in as far as it would go, so that I could get a screwdriver in via the bottom edge. If you peer inside the gap, you can see a white plate, clipped to the black back of the mirror glass. You need to get a screwdriver in between those two parts and pry the clips free (one on either end of the white plate). The top of the mirror hooks on, so do not try and pry it from the top. That is assuming the mk2 is the same/similar to a mk1.

just done a couple of pics using spare parts I have in the garage. The 1st pic is showing where the two parts clip together. 2nd pic is how the top hooks on. The white part is the plate that is connected to the motors normally so is fixed inside the mirror housing. Hope that helps.

mirror4.jpg

mirror5.jpg

I did my mark2 and the way it is done is to put a piece of cloth behind the mirror and feed it from the top to the bottom of the glass and then gently pull the cloth towards you from the bottom and it will release the clips that hold it in.

I'm having problems trying to get the glass mirror off, tried following the guide - pull the lower side of the mirror up but it won't disconnect, I don't want to use too much force in case I break anything.

Is this guide also for the mk1 is a different procedure required for the mk2.

any help appreciated, thx

If you want to phone me on 01179374157 if you are having problems I will explain in detail for you.

Norman

Hi Guys,

Thx so much for the pics and the number for help, I'm just seeing u're posts now (9:30pm), I spent the afternoon struggling with the glass plate, the guides I found from searching on this site, there were 2 guides one showing how to replace the wing mirror and the other to replace the glass. Replacing the glass guide also said to feed a cloth from the top thru to bottom. I tried a cloth but couldn't get it to feed it thru as its quite tight the space. I gave up on this and thought the same could be achieved by simply trying to pull at the bottom of the glass. Neither worked, I thought if I can't get the glass off, I've got no choice with the door panel so booked the car with a local mechanic tomorrow morning for £35.

Just gave it another go...errr with a little help from the misus and one of her makeup tools to feed through the cloth......and hey presto it worked! pulled the cloth at the bottom and the glass clipped of the bottom :yahoo:

How hard is it to get the door panel off, is it simply a case of undoing the screws the door panel comes off? not sure what to do now, use the mechanic or give it ago....or maybe let the misus do it :)

Thx

No ide aon the door panel for the mk2, but in general they don't vary that much between models, or makes even. On the Mk1, there are a few screws that help around the grab handle area for extra strength, and a few round the pocket on the door I seem to remember, I also seem to remember a screw in the demist hole for the air feed to the side glass, the rest of it is held in place by push in clips. You just have to pull the panel away (or use a large flat "blade" to prise them gently) and they will "pop" out. Last time I did mine, no clips broke, but be careful to try and avoid any breakages. Once you have released all of the clips, lift the panel up to unhook the lip at the top of the door panel (by the window glass). It should be similar for the mk2. Oh, nearly forgot, you will have to disconnect the electrics (window switches ect) once the panel is loose if you want to remove it from the car completely. Luckily for the mk1, there is no need to remove the panel to do the mirror, not the case for the mk2 unfortunately.

Thx guys, absolutely awesome help.

I'm just too much of diy noobie to tackle this, got the local mechanic to do it this morning, he's done a good job, tho he mentioned he had to do a bit of soldering, along with the connector for the mirror to the plate there were 2 wires that need soldering!

Cheers

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links